Chapter 9: Birthday Party

Tanya's POV

  7 months later
December 4th, 2010

Todays is the most special of days. Harper's 2nd year birthday. Oh I was looking forward to this day, Harper's first birthday party with us! I'm setting up the dining room, and have a cake making in the oven. It's the second one I've made so far. The last one has... in a word. Blown up. I've learned to master cooking, baking on the other hand, is a whole different kind of challenge. I eventually mastered it... sort of.

The oven made a beeping sound, signaling that the cake was done. Success! The cake was all finished, now it just needed to be decorated. I made Harper's favorite, chocolate. I invited my cousins from Forks to join in on the celebration. After all, it's the least I could do after what they did for me.
The dining room was all set. Perfect. Elegant, simple, and the cake, fun and edible.

Harper will love it, I just know it

Harper will love it, I just know it. I stand infront of the dining room table, admiring my handy work. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. I clap my hands together, dusting off the flour in my hands. I hear Carmen coming down the stairs and places a present on the table. "What is that?" I ask her. She hesitates for a second, which was odd. Carmen has always been a calm and an open person, for as long as I've known her.

"A necklace. I've had it for quite sometime, I thought it was time I pass it on. It belonged to my mother."

My jaw drops. "Carmen, you don't have to do that—" she cuts me off.

"No Tanya, it's alright. I want Harper to have it. Think of it more as a thank you present. She has done so much for us. Please, let me give her this." She pleads to me. I look at her, and finally accept her gift to Harper. We hug one another.

"Is she awake yet?" Carmen asks

"No, I put her to nap this afternoon. She was so exhausted after all the fun she had this morning." I tell her. We laugh together. Harper can be a heavy sleeper sometimes. After she finished with her breakfast, we had spent most of the morning together. My little one is growing up so fast.