Chapter 1

(Present time)

He lay on Bert, next to Abby, in her lab. The music was not as loud as usual, but the beats as fast. They didn't talk; they just stared at the ceiling.

Finally, Tony broke the silence. "Why does nobody ask me about Ziva or about how I am? Why does nobody ask me how my life works and how I manage to go on?"

Abby turned around to him. "'cause you are broken, Tony", she answered, "Everyone sees it and the ones who care don't want to hurt you by asking." He pulled his neck into Bert to make him fart as long as possible. Abby tried to smile, but it didn't work as well as she had hoped. Nothing was the same since Ziva was gone.

"She asked me once if I believe in soul mates." "And, do you?" "Dammit, Abby, she was the one!" Tony sat up.

"Why did I let her go?" "It's not your fault, Tony", Abby said calmly. "You know, I also thought that once about someone, a few years ago. Sometimes, you're just wrong and you have to get along with it." "About whom are you talking?" Tony asked, with a grin on his face. "Wait, was it McBambino?"

"That doesn't matter any more. He's happy with Delilah, you see, and I am also happy with him just as friend." Abby kept playing with one of her rings. Tony closed his eyes for a few seconds. "You know, I wasn't the kind of guy with long lasting relationships and soul-mate-stuff. I never felt about someone like that before and I don't know how to handle it. Ziva wasn't just any woman. And I can't get through this without any help, Abby." Tony looked her straight into her light green eyes. "At your service, Senor DiNozzo!" she yelled and jumped up. "So, um..." he answered and Abby grinned brightly.

Gibbs suddenly burst into the lab. "Abby, are you alright?" he asked while breathing heavily.

"Oh my god, what happened?" She instantly ran through him. "I wanted to ask you the same question!" Gibbs answered, "I was on my way downstairs and heart you yelling! I thought you got attacked or something."

"It was just an unexpected attack of enthusiasm!" Tony replied from the background and walked towards his boss.

"DiNozzo, we were looking for you. There's new evidence about our case. A new suspect, McGee traced him near the Navy Yard. Grab your gear." "Sure, Boss!" Tony moved fast into the elevator. Gibbs kissed Abby on the cheek and ran into the elevator.

"See you then, guys!" Abby shouted and waved with a huge smile on her face.