Chapter 6

(The next morning)

Ziva woke up early.

She didn’t remember that she fell asleep. The last thing she remembered was a scene from the movie and that she sat next to Tony, laughing and eating pizza.

Before breaking into his apartment, she had thought about every possible scenario of his reaction, but she hadn’t even dreamt about watching a movie with him and finally falling asleep in his arms.

She looked around. Suddenly she knew why DiNozzo said that this doesn’t feel like home. It was too impersonal, even if he placed his movie collection and a single poster.

Considered of making no noises, Ziva got up fast and ran into the kitchen. Tony still lay on the couch, snoring, and his hands on the pillow. This sight made her smile. She laid the table for breakfast without waking him up. When she was done, she walked over to him.

“DiNozzo!” she whispered. “Get up!” He slowly opened his eyes. “Morning” he mumbled and sat up. “I made breakfast” she responded. “Really?” he said and walked towards the table.

“Well, it’s the last thing I can do after you let me sleep here” she answered. He sat down and took a bagel.

“You can stay here as long as you want if this isn’t … too awkward” he said, the mouth full filled. “Thanks” She also sat down and took a bagel herself. Of course it would be awkward, but she had no other place to stay.

“Don’t you want to go to work today?” she asked. “I don’t think so. I’m just out of the hospital for one day; I’ll try to recover a bit before I go back to work.”

“Yeah, he hit you pretty hard” she agreed. He wanted to ask why she didn’t do anything after that guy beat him up or even better before he beat him up. But she couldn’t have known that he was going to do that, he told himself.

“Don’t you have luggage or stuff you brought from Israel?”

She ate a piece of her bagel. “Actually, I left everything behind. I came here with my passport, a bit of money and the clothes I wear. Everything else stayed in Israel.”

She forced a smile. He noticed that she didn’t wear a David-star necklace; that meant that she didn’t buy herself a new one.

“Do you want to go shopping today?” he asked. “We should get you some clothes, what do you think?” She looked into his eyes. “Wait, are you offering to go shopping voluntarily? I thought guys don’t like doing that!”

A bright smile took place on her face. Her eyes glowed. He had missed that expression so much, so he just grinned back.

“Well, you can also wear one of my shirts if you’d rather do that” he replied. They laughed and continued eating. How could they be so happy together after all that happened? Tony didn’t know but he was glad they could.

After they finished breakfast, they drove to a shopping center.

First, they always discussed who would pay what and Ziva didn’t want to buy expensive things, but the longer they went around together, the better they got along with each other.

They stopped at a Thai restaurant to have lunch and Tony bought himself later a few more DVD’s.

Finally they got home, the arms full of bags with clothes, shoes, movies and food. “How much money did we spend?” Ziva laughed when Tony opened the door.

“I think I won’t have to buy anything the following moths, we purchased enough clothes and food for a whole family” Tony replied. “But I’d better go to work tomorrow, just to make sure that I have bit money left over.”

He smiled at her. They put the food into the fridge, the clothes into the closet and the movies into the big stable cupboard.

“I am so tired. Mind if I just go to bed and don’t eat something for diner? I ate too much at that Thai restaurant.” She said later.

“Sure, me too” He stopped to wish her a good night and suddenly they stood very close to each other.

She could feel his breath on her forehead but she didn’t move away. “Good night, little ninja” he said calmly and smiled at her. “Good night, Tony.”

They stood there like this for a while, until Tony turned around and went to the couch before it could get any more awkward.

An hour later, Ziva lay on the bed, staring into the dark, and thinking what she could have done different or better.

Should she have kissed him? She didn’t know. At last, she fell asleep.