Chapter 13

Tony helped Ziva to put on a coat over the blue hospital dress.
She quickly brushed her hair so she looked more casual and less messy.

Gibbs had a coat for Tony, too.
They slowly walked out of the room after checking if the corridor was empty and Tony pulled his arm around Ziva's waist to stabilize her.

She limped down the corridor and suddenly, it all felt like they were in Somalia again.
Gibbs walking in front of them, Tony helping her to move forwards, not knowing what will come from behind the next corner.

She'd also felt helpless there, useless. They'd come to save her.
Of course. It had to be you.
Why are you here?
Couldn't live without you, I guess.
Then you're going to die with me.

All the memories came back, she remembered Tony's face, and how he was trying to be funny despite all the circumstances.
She remembered Saleem, ripping her head back and driving his knife along her throat.

It all could have ended there.
It could have ended a million times; they had been on the verge of death so often.
It's part of the job.

They went down some stairs, paying attention to the security cameras.
She felt so weak. Tony's grip around her waist tightened as he noticed she wasn't well.
"Only a few more steps" he whispered.

I owe him so much, she thought and kept going. A thousand things were spinning around in her head, memories, voices, thoughts.
She forced herself to blind them out.

They got out of the front door and luckily no one had paid attention to them.

"Get in the car" Gibbs said shortly. "Are we being followed?" Tony asked as he helped Ziva to get into the backseat.
"I don't know. Just hurry." Gibbs started the car and Tony sat down next to Ziva.

He held her hand.

The car shot forwards and entered the narrow road. Gibbs drove nearly as fast and chaotic as Ziva had always done, but at the same time he tried not to drive too stormy since he knew that she wasn't being well in the backseat.

She leaned herself against Tony's shoulder, she couldn't keep herself sitting straight up.

"We're being followed." DiNozzo turned around and caught a glare through the window.
"You mean the black Mustang?"

"Make it more obvious." Gibbs hit the gas pedal and the car seemed to shoot forwards.
Ziva groaned in pain so Tony grabbed her hand tighter.
"It's alright." He kept whispering.

"Wherever we are driving, please make us arrive there as soon as possible!"
"I'm already doing my best!" Gibbs replied and overtook a few other cars by driving in lines around them.

The black Mustang kept following.

"Can you see who's driving the other car?" Tony asked.
"No, I can't!" Gibbs took a look in the rearview mirror when he suddenly yelled: "Down!"

DiNozzo's first reaction was pushing Ziva's head down before he removed his own head to a save place without even questioning.

A heartbeat later, a dozen bullets were fired straight through the window where their necks had been a second before.

The car tires were making squealing noises while sliding barely controllable over the road.

He heard Gibbs swearing.
Then the car was pushed forwards again, Gibbs got back the steering wheel and did everything in his power to get the car driving as fast as possible to outpace their trackers.

"Hell, DiNozzo, can you shoot back!" He yelled angrily.
"I've got no gun in this damn trench coat!" Tony gave back, checking his pockets.

Another burst of automatic gunfire was shot through the window.

"There's one under the middle seat!" Gibbs shouted out, his words nearly drowning in the gunshots.

DiNozzo carefully moved Ziva aside, paying attention that she didn't get into the line of fire.
He found the gun, cocked it and leaned out of the window to start firing at the black Mustang.
While shooting as fast and straight as possible, he caught a glimpse at the man who was leaning just like him out of the window and shooting.

His whole body was wrapped in a dark suit which only left a hole for the eyes.
One bullet missed Tony by hairsbreadth and he ducked back in the car, breathing heavily.

"They've got a machine gun!" He gasped, as if Gibbs and Ziva hadn't noticed that yet.
Perhaps Ziva really hadn't noticed; her eyes were closed again.

DiNozzo recharged his gun and went back to shooting.