"Life Memory" #4

I look up at my mom in disbelief. He must be lying. He has to be! How can I trust a single word he says? 

   "I don't believe you!" I scream, running up to my room.

   I slam my door and hop on my bed. My dad is a jerk. He only came back to ruin my life. He comes and he lies about everything. 

   A moment later, my mom walks in and folds her arms in anger.

  "That is not how you leave the table, young lady! Why are you acting this way toward your father?" she yells.

  "Why did he leave and come back a liar?" I sass. 

   My mom sighs and sits on the end of my bed. I can feel a tear trickle down my cheek. 

   "Honey, I know forgiving someone is hard, but sometimes forgiving someone is what makes you feel better. When you forgive someone, the weight gets lifted from your chest, and you can feel happy," my mother explains.

   I stay silent. My mom moves a strand of hair from my face, and more tears drip onto my mattress. 

   "I mean, how did you feel when you forgave Mr. Mallet?" my mother asks, rubbing my back.

   "Good," I sob. "I felt good."

   I can feel tears drip faster and faster. My sobs grow louder and louder. Then my father walks in. 

   "Oh, honey," my father starts leaning down next to the bed. 

   "How do I forgive you? I don't know how to do that. What's wrong with me?" I question.

   My father takes my hand and wipes the tears from my eyes. 

   "Honey...I'm sorry. I'm being one hundred percent honest. What your mother said is the truth. I left so I could convince the army to stop their plans on putting every child asleep," he pauses. "Anyway, I better give you some time to think. Later, let's go out for ice cream."

   My parents walk out of the room, and I look out the window to the dark sky. Images of my childhood run through my head. The time my dad pushed me on the swing, and I fell hitting my head. The first time I went ice-skating, and how I went faster than many of the kids. Our last Christmas together. Tears once again start streaming down my face.

   "I miss our family," I mumble to myself in realization. 

    I wipe my eyes and put on a sweater.  I run out of my room knowing what I have to do and see my family in the kitchen talking. 

   "So how about that ice cream?" I ask. 

   My sister looks over at me smiling. 

   "Are you okay?" she mouths.

   I nod and smile at her. My parents look at me and smile. 

   "Last one in the car is a rotten egg," my dad challenges. 

   I laugh while running as fast as I can. My sister is behind me, trying to push me out of the way, but I gain speed and make it to the door handle. I look back to see my mom still at the front door.

   "Ha! You're the rotten egg," I tease.

   "Wow, you guys are fast," my mom pants heavily. 

                                                                                          .....

   I take a bite of my sundae and savor the flavor of the delicious treat in front of me. 

   "I wonder why they call it 'ice cream,'" my sister blurts out.