The Awakening

I incline from a bed. It's not my room, surely not my house. I then take the covers off me. I look around more carefully and finally realize where I am. This is my old house, but it looks so different. Where there are supposed to be walls, there is concrete, where there is supposed to be carpet, is wood floor. Nothing is completely the same. That's when I notice my sister. I put my feet on the ground, and walk to her bed.

     "Casey," I whisper.

    My sister didn't wake up. I sit there for a second, and look into a mirror. I am instantly shocked at what I see. I look like my three year old self. For just a moment I study myself in the mirror. I scream, and I hear footsteps come towards my room. I get wide-eyed and I jump back into bed. The footsteps stop when they reach the door. Suddenly, my body starts shaking and won't stop. Not so much that I could be having a seizure, but just enough to know I am terrified.

     "Skylar? What's wrong, honey? When did you wake up?" a voice speaks from behind the door.

     I feel as if it was my real mother calling my name, but I didn't want to take any chances, so I ignore the voice. Hoping the voice would go away, I cover my ears. Just when I thought the voice was gone, the doorknob turns and it is my mother.

     "Mom," I scream.

     I stand there shocked at the person standing in front of me. I am too shocked to say a word. She stands there smiling, and practically crying. She seems so happy I'm...awake...

     "I know you must have a lot of questions. I'll answer all of them, but first you need to eat. You're gonna have to."

     With that sentence, I feel pain in my stomach as if telling me to eat now. I nod and jump out of bed. Without a word, I find my kitchen and see pizza. After grabbing a piece, it is gone in under a minute. After eating five pieces I realize my mother is observing me. She seems to be worried.

     "Mother, is there something wrong? Do you want a piece? Am I eating too much?" I question.

     "No, honey, you're fine. It's just..." she pauses, "nobody wakes up this early."

     I freeze in the middle of pulling another pizza to my face. The pizza starts moving downward, and I look up at my mother.

     "What do you mean 'nobody wakes up this early'?" I ask.

     My mother seems to be getting nervous. I can tell when she is nervous by the way she holds her hand. She stands there for a second without a word. Just when I went to go back to eating, she grabbed my wrist.

     "Mom? Are you going to tell me?" I ask.

     "Shhh!" she pauses. "The government is here. You need to run to your bed and pretend to be asleep. Now!"

     I run as fast as I can to my room and jump into my bed. Covering myself with the blanket, I hear footsteps running, stomping, and rushing up the stairs. My heart skips a beat as the government slams open the door, and rushes towards my bed. I can feel someone's breath on my face, and try not to show weakness. I can hear one of them speak.

     "I promise! I saw her wake up! The monitor was making a siren noise!"

     I can hear the person closest to me grunt as if someone has kicked him. All I hear are sounds of fists being thrown and legs being kicked. Before I know it I am being used as a pillow. I almost flinch, but don't. I'm as straight as a board by the time they are off of me. I hear a few more punches thrown, and it becomes silent.