The Packing

I scramble to the bathroom, and grab all my necessities. I have to hurry, or the military will take me away.

    Looking in the mirror, I realize I look like myself when I was sixteen. Smiling, I check myself out. I look okay, I guess. Maybe I'd prefer myself with some straighter, less crazy hair, and some makeup.

    Stumbling, I rush out of the bathroom, and aimlessly grasp my neck pillow. I rush out of my room, and tumble down the stairs into my mother.

    "Honey, calm down. The military can't come right now. They haven't even gone to work yet," my mother reassures me.

    I catch my breath and I grab my bag. I don't want to leave, but I have to. I grab everything else I would need, and I look at my mother.

    "Mom, I don't want to go. I'm going to miss you," I complain.

    "I know honey, but this is the best for you. You can't stay," she answers.

        A tear streams down my face, and I could feel my cheeks go warm. While I wipe my tear, my mother walks to me and wraps me in a tight hug. I didn't want to let go of this one.

    "Mom, I can't do this on my own. Where do I go?" I wonder.

    "I told you—go to the military, and shut it down. I believe in you, Skylar," she answers

    I wipe my tears one last time and swing my book bag over my shoulder. I watch my feet as they sway across the carpet. The short gasps of my mother reach my ear, and I try to ignore them, but the fact that she's crying makes me want to. Finally, I reach the door, and I hesitate to open it. This is really happening. Gathering my nerves, I reach out to the doorknob, when out of nowhere, I hear the boy's voice again.

    "My mom told me I need to go. She saw the security camera set up by the military."

    I freeze, and run back to my mother. It's stupid to do, but suddenly, my nerves mean nothing because this news is too big. She looks astonished to see me run back.

    "That voice in my head, I think it's a real person!" I cry.

    My mother looks at me dismayed. I don't think it's because it shocked her. I think she knows something.

    "Mother, do you know something?" I question.

    "Yeah, uh. There have been rumors around that two children woke up. Maybe they'll be the ones to defeat the government," she speaks.

    Suddenly overwhelmed, I look her in the eyes, and beg her to let me hide inside.

    "Honey, I know this is a lot to put on you, but you have to go. I can't hide you. He will protect you," she says.

    "Wait, you know who it is?" I question her.

    She just looks back and smiles. She nods to me as if telling me to leave. I drop my gaze, look at the door, and slowly walk towards it. It's like my whole childhood left by my shoulders, like my life passed before my eyes. I guess I have to grow up, after all. Finally, my hand reaches the door handle. I take a final deep breath in, and turn it until the door creeks open. Peeking out, I see trees, grass, and everything I ever dreamed. I step out and walk on the grass. I let the sun soak into my pale skin, and let my eyes adjust to the brightness.

    "Hello, are you outside? We need to run away together, now," the voice echos.

    "I'm outside my house. Where are you?" I question.

    I feel a tap on my shoulder, and I see a boy my age. He smiles at me, and he moves his hand through his caramel, straight hair. He is a little tan, and has beautiful green eyes. Frozen, I wait for him to speak.

    "Are you just going to stand there or are you going to say something?" he inquires.

    "Hot," I murmur.

    In that moment, I feel a hand grab my arm and am being pulled into a green bush. I feel the urge to scream, but a hand is covering my mouth.

    "Shh," I hear.

    I close my eyes and look around, only to find that the boy is gone. Maybe he's the one who dragged me here. Looking in my driveway, I notice the government has pulled up there. They knock once, then twice, but my mother doesn't answer. The hand, now trusting me, moves away from my mouth. Looking back, I see the boy I was talking to. I grin at him and stay as still as possible.

    "Go away! She's not here, and you know that!" I hear my mother wail.

    I feel a hand grab mine, and I am being pulled into the woods. I follow close behind, and try to keep up, when the shadows of trees cover us head to foot. I start to tremble, and am full of fear.

    "I'm scared. I don't want to do this," I complain.

    I can feel his hand grip tighter to mine. I can tell he isn't scared. I grab his arm and almost fall. In just a snap, everything goes completely black, and I am completely limp.

    "Wake up, please, wake up," I hear a voice echo.

    I slowly open my eyes, and see the boy. I look around and see trees and dirt.

    "What happened? Where am I?" I ponder.

    "You passed out," he answers.

    The woods are still black and filthy. I try to get up, but fail in the act. I plummet, until my head has hit the dirt.

    "Careful now, you don't want to hurt yourself," he cautions me.

    "Uh, would you mind telling me your name?" I ask.

    "Elijah," he answers.

    Smiling, I feel his breath on my cheek, and his hand in mine. He seems very familiar.

    "I remember someone in my 'life' with that name," I say.

    "I remember you, too. Skylar, right?" he queries.

    I smile and suddenly have a flashback of when we met, when the papers were falling out of my window. I always liked him, but I didn't think he would ever be the person I would need to help me save the world.

    "Every day, I would look up in your window to see you play on your phone, or talk to your friends in your room. I always loved the way you would smile. I came every day to make sure you were smiling. I always liked you, Skylar," he announces.

    I look up at him and question,

    "Why have I never noticed you?"

    "Because I was the invisible kid in school," he answers with a frown.

    I suddenly feel sick to my stomach and frown. I look down at my hands, which are now full with dirt, and need to be cleaned.

    "I'm sorry," I apologize.

    "It's fine; I was used to it, please don't worry about it, Sky," he worries. "We should get some sleep."

    We both get up and make a tent with a blanket from his house, a rope, and some logs. I go in first and he closes the tent without a sound.

    "Aren't you coming in?" I question him.

    "I'm keeping guard," he responds.

    I smile, and reach out of the tent to grab his hand. He grips mine, and I drift into a dream.