The Many Lives of a Stomach Organ

Chapter 4           

Gray had been to a lot of awkward things in his life.

When he had to come out was gay to his parents, it had been coincidently in the same degree as this moment.

There they all sat, it was one of those good times when Sky was strong enough to hoist herself to the dinner table. It was one of those days that his parents actually decided that they could spare two minutes from their cell phones and eat a meal as a family. It was one of those days that were just too good to be true.

His dad was harping again, about the bills to pay, which had led to his favorite topic, “If I had only gone to college.” It seemed to be the most prevalent issue to ever grace his dads mind. According to him, if he had gone to college he would have a mansion, six cars and his own personal yacht. However it seemed to only occur to Gray that dad was not rife with academic prowess and the only sport he played was channel surfing; which lead him to believe that the only thing he would have if he had gone to college was a shitload of student loans. However this particular escapade depicted how he would have gone to college, if he hadn’t fallen in love with mom.

He turned to Gray, looking him dead in the eyes with his dull black ones. “Worst mistake I ever made son, don’t trust a girl as far as you can throw her.”

His father, the wise monk that he was, was always so full of shit. However Gray didn’t know just how much until he gave him his reply to his father’s little pearl of wisdom. “Good thing I don’t like girls,” he said. And there it was. Like a fat person that tries to stretch a small shirt over their enormous body. It was ugly, and uncomfortable and silent. His dad sat hushed, Gray didn’t know how much pressure his fork could take, but he would soon find out.

“What do you mean you don’t like girls?” his father said slowly.  Gray was sixteen at the time, so he couldn’t pass it off as a cootie thing.

“I’m uh…you know,” Gray stated slowly. He honestly hadn’t really thought about how his parents would react. He never really felt they loved him in the first place, and he practically lived at Reggie’s house. Their reactions never really flashed in his head, he didn’t think they’d shift from the normal disdain in which they showed him.

His father simply whipped the left over bits of mashed potatoes from his beard and stood from the table. Gray had always expected sort of a stereotypical father and son thing like in the movies. Were he could call his father a bastard for not loving him, and his father would exclaim ‘I never had a son’. But his father didn’t at that awkward dinner, his simply stopped exerting the little effort he had remaining.

That was as nearly as awkward as this.

There they were, all at the dinner table like a big old dysfunctional ass family, who wanted to kill each other. Jasper sat at head of the table, in the biggest chair that looked like some sort of throne. Gray sat on his left with one had in Jasper’s, which in a way felt sort of protective. Across from him sat Christophe, looking slowly between Jasper and Jack who sat next to Christophe and across from Wilhelm. The dining hall was a massive space that could fit at least 20 people, probably the size of a pack.