The Many Lives of an Eavesdropping Fledgling

Chapter 3

Gray couldn't remember the last time he had this much time to think. Jasper and Christophe had gone down stairs, to do what, Gray didn't know, but that just left him to his thoughts.

He was so confused about all this. Every time Jasper stepped toward him, he wanted to give himself to the older boy; it seemed like an instinct. His mind would cloud and there was nothing there but pure carnal want that threatened to overcome him. He wondered if Jasper felt the same, if so he was sure as hell better at controlling it than Gray. Jasper had said this werewolf stuff was nothing like he had imagined; that left Gray even more frightened. At least then he had some inkling of what it would be like. However Jasper had informed him that the only thing the humans really got right was the aversion to silver. Silver couldn't kill them, merely incapacitate, like lead for vampires. Jasper had reassured him that he would be taught everything he needed to know, but still the thought of not knowing who he was, or how to control it, scared the every loving shit out of him. He then realized that his last thoughts as he was lying in his death bed were true. He would never play baseball again. He would never be able to see his sister, or Reggie.

That's when he started to feel the tears flow. They were warm and didn't blur his eyes like the other times he had cried.

He heard the door open and close gently. He thought it would be Jasper but as soon as he smelled the air he knew it wasn't. It smelled of something close to chocolate and peanut butter. He could hear a bag being rattled from his spot buried in his pillows.

"Watcha doin'?" he heard someone ask, though he was pretty sure he would know it anywhere. He lifted his head up to see Wilhelm standing in the room with the biggest grin on his face; in his hand was a family sized bag of Cheetos and his fingers were coated orange with the dust. The sight of Wilhelm always made him laugh. The man was so innocent looking; Gray had a hard time believing that the man had ever done anything wrong in his life. However Gray had seen firsthand what happened when someone messed with his family.

"Nothing, I was just a little... overwhelmed," Gray sighed, sitting up. Grey's eyes landed on the bag of Cheetos and his stomach started to growl. He knew it wasn't what he wanted, but it would do.

Wilhelm held out the bag; probably noticing Gray staring at it. Gray nodded his thanks, unable to keep from stuffing handfuls of cheesiness into his mouth at once. Wilhelm let out a chuckle and pulled out a Snickers bar from his pocket and opening it. He threw his large body onto the bed and crossed his legs underneath him. Gray briefly wondered how Wilhelm didn't have an ounce of fat on him. The man was all muscle; his hulking figure did not reflect what he shoved in his mouth.

"You'll find that you feel the same too." Wilhelm spoke, looking at Gray with a smile. Did anything ever faze the man?

"Feel the same?"

"We're both new to the change, when you're new; you have to make up for the loss of calories from your human years." Wilhelm explained, running his tongue across his teeth to clear the food.

That must be why Gray felt like someone died every time he looked down and saw that the Cheetos were dwindling. Wilhelm reached in his pocket and he pulled out a Twix bar, Gray didn't find it at all wrong when he snatched it up and actually thanked god for his food.

Wilhelm laughed, "You'll never skip a meal again, and you need all the carbs you can get to shift into your wolf form."

Gray looked at him with shock, "And you just do this whenever?"

"Whelp," Wilhelm stated, contemplating. "It's like the eating thing, it depends on how long and how old you get. Like old Jasper is the one with the most control since he was turned first...well he actually born Lycan."