Chapter 12: Happy birthday

"He's trying to contact us. We gotta go." She told us. She put the radio back into her bag.

"Maybe we should try to find some clothes? No clue what that thing can track, it might be our scent." Alex told us. I nodded my head.

"Then let's go." ZhenZhen told us. We all ran like usual but it was more of a jog. I saw Max smirk. I knew what he was going to say but I glared at him.

"Has Y/N told what today is?" Max said. I looked down while we were running.

"No. Not at all." Gabriel said.

"It's her 16th birthday." Max said.

"And you didn't think to tell anyone." Alex told me.

"It's really not that important. My birthday is just another day on a calendar." I said shrugging.

"Ignore her negativity. She's always been like that about her birthday ever since Mom died." Max explained.

"Yeah and Janice is trying to take Mom's spot in the family." I told Max coldly.

"Janice is only trying to be a motherly figure to you and you shut her out all the time." Max shouted at me.

"Well I'll never look up to her." I told him. I ran closer to where Gabriel was. I know I should be taking it easy on my foot but I didn't want to.

"Happy birthday." Gabriel whispered in my ear. I smiled. We managed to run all the way to the nearest mall.

"I hope they got a McDonald's in here, I need me, like, two McDoubles and an ice cream." Dariush told us making me laugh.

"Hurry, come on. Gotta get inside." ZhenZhen told us. We went got inside we made it to the escalator.

"Come on, I know Gucci's downstairs, let's go." Dariush told us. I just shook my head. We all made our way down the escalators. I saw Gabriel walk over to a bunch of mannequins while the others went the other way. I decided to follow Gabriel.

"Do you think that the world will go back to the way it was after this?" I asked him. Honestly those mannequins were kinda creeping me out.

"I don't know. But if it does I might have to go back to juvie." He told me.

"And if you don't and you don't have anywhere to stay, I think I could pull a few strings so you could come and stay with me and Max." I told him. I hugged him.

"Do you mean that?" He asked me in disbelief.

"Yes, I do. When I make offers to people I mean them. But say you'll think about it. I mean my dad will probably agree to anything because he's gonna be as happy as anything when my stepmom goes into labour." I explained at him. "And before you say anything, no you will be intervening." I said answer his question before he even had to say anything. I pulled apart from the hug. While I was looking around I laid eyes on a record shop. It reminded me of when mom took me there on my 6th birthday.

"I'll think about it." Gabriel told me. I turned back to face him and smiled.

"I'm glad you said that." I told him. I watched as the others were playing with the lightsabers. Gabriel was looking at all the clothing that was on the mannequins.

"Do you think this'll fit us?" He asked while looking up at me.

"I don't know maybe." I said while giving an answer. I helped look at the clothing. "I mean if they do fit us that's a big plus." I added while looking a one tracksuit in particular. I guess he noticed me staring,

"Because it's your birthday. You can have that one. The others will have to choose between the other options." He told me. I smiled. Even if we were to take the outfits no one would care. Why? Because no one's gonna give a shit in a time like this.

"I wish everything was normal. I just wanna be at home in my room with my friends just listening to vinyls on my record player. Just dancing around not caring then later on go out and get some lunch somewhere." I said just remembering what my birthdays are normal like. "But next year. If we even survive this, I'm going to invite all the friends that I made on this journey. We can celebrate living. Instead of a birthday." I added.

"You can't think like that." Gabriel told me. I gave him a weak smile.

"I can't stop thinking about it though. I'm just glad that I'm still alive but if something happens to me. I want everyone to leave me and just continue going. I want everyone to forget I existed." I told him. It was a harsh thing to say about myself but it was the truth. I would want everyone to know that I never existed to make it easier. I knew that no one would miss me anyway. I turned to Gabriel and hugged him.

"I would never leave you." He whispered to me. I felt him kiss my forehead which made me blush.

"You would have to." I told him. I jumped towards that conclusion at the beginning of this thing. If I was going to die I would want to do it with nobody around me.

"Don't think that far ahead." He told me. I heard someone coughing from behind us. We both quickly parted from each other. I saw that Max was standing behind us.

"Have you guys found something other than a relationship." Max told us sarcastically. I was blushing and I saw that Gabriel was as well.

"Guys!" Gabriel shouted at the others trying to change the subject.

"How long were you stood there?" I asked Max.

"Long enough to hear everything." He answered with a smirk. I glared at him. "Happy birthday by the way." He said remembering he hadn't told me that yet.

"Gee thanks." I told him sarcastically. "I feel like you know something I don't." I asked him with a curious look on my face.

"That's because I do and I'm not telling you a thing." He told me just to be annoying. I honestly hated him because he knew I hated it when people knew something I didn't and then won't tell me what it is. I saw him smirk at me while I just gave him the finger.