Chapter 2

***UNEDITED***

"You what?!" Hailey screamed, almost bursting my eardrums.  As soon as I had repetitively thanked the guy on the radio station, I had found her and dragged her up to my old room.  It was just storage now, though, full of boxes and crap.

"I won the radio contest!" I yelled back, jumping up and down.  I haden't been this excited since I was six years old, and that was because I got a gold star on my homework.  Wow, I didn't get out much...

"Oh my god, Shyanne, that's amazing!" She shrieked, wrapping her arms around me in a bear hug.  This was one of the great things about Hailey, she wasn't the jealous type.  She didn't care that I was going and not her.

"I know, oh my god I can't believe this is happening."  I took a deep breath, trying to calm down.  If I didn't I would end up in the hospital.  "Seriously though, this all feels like a dream..." It really did, no lie.  Hailey quickly bent over and pinched the skin on my arm, making me flinch. "Ow! What the heck?!"

"Nope, it's not a dream," Hailey laughed, sending me a cheeky smirk. "Come on, lets go rub the trip in your brother's face!"  I chuckled, crossing my arms. She spun around and ran out of the room, but I stayed put.  It didn't seem right to rub it in Jason's face, plus it would really piss off my dad, so I would rather not get into it.

Sighing, I lent back on the wall and slid to the floor burying my face in my hands.  I let my hair fall around my face, creating a curtain around me.  Sitting like that made me feel secure, like I had my own little world and nothing could find me.

Unfortunately, the universe liked to prove me wrong.

"Shyanne!"  Jason called, I heard his feet running down the hallway.  I groaned. "Your going to Paris?! And you aren't taking me?!"  Childishly, I thought if I kept my head down, he would go away. "Are you seriously ignoring me?  On my birthday?"

"Yes, yes I am." I stated, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath.  I loved him, I really did, but he got on my nerves like no one else.  It was times like these that I wished I had gone out of state for college.

"Not cool man," He chuckled, sitting down next to me.  I could tell because he bumped my shoulder on the way down. "Seriously, though it's cool you get to go to Paris.  You've been wanting to go since you were like six."

"Yeah," I smiled, looking up at him slowly, "Ever since Dad sent me that carousel from his business trip."  He smiled too, looking down at his hands.  It wasn't very often we talked about the past, just because it was so painful, but when we did we actually got along.

"When do you leave?"  He asked, breaking the silence between us.  I shook my head, willing the thoughts of my mother to go away.  I didn't need to be depressed on Jason's birthday.

"Two weeks," I whispered, twirling a piece of hair around my finger.  That seemed like so far away, and yet so close.  I would really miss everyone, even if I was only gone for a week.

"Wow," He huffed, slouching his shoulders, "How long will you be gone."

"Well, they're paying for a week, but they said if I pay for lodging and stuff I could stay longer..." And I did have some money saved up, and now that I didn't have to pay for most of the trip, I was considering staying for a little longer.

"Well then," Jason sighed, standing up and holding a hand out for me, "We'll miss you." I pulled myself up and wrapped him in a tight hug, which he surprisingly returned.

"I'll miss you too."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------