Chapter 6- The Feast

*Read A/N*

"GRYFFINDOR!" Oh my goodness. I just got sorted into Gryffindor. Wait. I have to move. I take the hat off my head, grinning ear to ear. I rush over to the table full of red and gold robes and cheering people. I sit down beside an older boy wearing horn-rimmed glasses who looks like he could be related to Ron, the same freckles and flaming red hair. I look back up at the stage as McGonagall calls the next name. Eventually Neville's name is called. I really hope Neville is put in Gryffindor. He's my only friend here. The hat takes a long time to decide with him. But I grin with him as he runs towards the Gryffindor table. And laugh with everyone else when he has to jog back to the stage to pass the hat on to a boy named Morag. Eventually the Malfoy boy walked up to the stage with so much swagger it was hard for me not to laugh.He was placed exactly where I guessed; Slytherin. With not many left we got into the P's and each time the professor calls a name I hold my breath, finally it happens. "Potter, Harry" whispers erupt around the room. "Harry?" "Did she say Potter?" "The Harry Potter?" I can tell Harry is panicking as he slowly walks to the stool. The hat slips over his eyes as everyone is practically breaking their necks to get a good look at him. He'll be in Gryffindor I know it but still, what if he's not? I see him hold tight to the edge of the stool and whisper something, though I think I'm the only one who notices. Just then the hat shouts, "GRYFFINDOR!" And I finally let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. The boy I sat next to got up and shook his hand and twins who also looked suspiciously like Ron were standing up shouting, "We got Potter! We got Potter!" Harry sat opposite the Gryffindor ghost and shivered as it patted him on the shoulder.A girl named Lisa was put in Ravenclaw. Then it was Ron's turn. As he walks up to the front he looks a pale shade of green. A second after the hat is placed on his head the hat shouts, "GRYFFINDOR!" Immediately Harry relaxes as Ron rushes over and sits beside him.The boy who may or may not be Ron's brother congratulates him. "Well done, Ron, excellent," As one Zabini Blaise is made Slytherin. Professor McGonnagal then rolled up her parchment and left, stool in hand. My stomach growls as I look at the empty plate before me. When and what shall we eat? Then the great Albus Dumbledore stands up and opens his arms in a warm generous way. "Welcome! Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are:"I expect an almighty speech, but that's not what I get. "Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you." As he sits down again everyone cheers and I'm confused. I want to laugh but I fear it would be rude. Harry then leans over to "Ron's kind" I decide to call them all, and whispers "Is he - a bit mad?" He sounds uncertain to weather he should say it out loud. "Mad? He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a but mad, yes. Potatoes Harry?" I look down and gasp the plates are holding mountains of food. The Gryffindor ghost looks sadly at it all and proceeds to discuss food with Harry, but I don't pay attention I decide to ponder my dreams about Harry and how they are even possible, but before long I'm interrupted by 'Ron's kind'. "Hello, welcome to Gryffindor." He smiles kindly at me. "My name is Percy Weasley, I believe you know my brother, Ronald?" I try to keep my face polite but my distaste at the mention of Ron must have shown. Percy laughs at me and replies kindly, "Don't worry, he makes most people feel that way." We're interrupted by a boy who I remember to be Seamus Finnigan asking the ghost previously mentioned. "Nearly headless? How can you be nearly headless?" I turn to look at the ghosts reply, that's when I recognize him. It's Sir Nicholas or 'Nearly Headless Nick.' I know what to expect but it is still disturbing as the ghost replies. "Like this," Grabbing his left ear and pulling causing his head to fall off his neck and onto his shoulder attached just barley by some skin. I'd read about him so I knew his story. People assumed he was murdered, beheaded improperly. Which was in fact true. Sir Nicholas would have been saved loads of trouble had he known how to properly complete a teeth straightening spell. I turned back to Percy, to continue our conversation but he had turned to speak with a girl more his age. I sat in silence pondering how to insert myself into conversations when Percy decided to speak with me again his other friend having gone. "Excited to be in Gryffindor?" He asked kindly. "Oh very much so, I've done extensive research on all the houses, Gryffindor has to have by far the best reputation I just hope I do my house proud." Percy looks at me approvingly, as I wondered how an intelligent person like him ever got stuck with a brother like Ronald.

After far too much food and singing the school song Percy guided us up the grand moving staircases, our group was lucky enough to catch the stable path. After a while of walking we found our path blocked by floating walking sticks. As Percy approached them they seemed to throw themselves in his direction. Percy grumbled and whispered to the first years, "Peeves, a Poltergeist." He then yelled in to the walking sticks. "Peeves - show yourself!" The only reply he got was the sound of somebody blowing a raspberry, it seemed rather rude to be honest. "Do you want me to get the Bloody Baron?" Suddenly there was a popping noise and a little man with a big mouth and dark eyes appeared cross legged in the air holding the walking sticks. "Oooooooh!" He cackled at us. "Ickle Firsties! What fun!" He swooped down near our heads and everyone ducked out of his way. Percy seemed quite irritated by this point. "Go away, Peeves, or the Baron'll hear about this, I mean it!" He barked. Peeves stuck out his tongue childishly before vanishing, dropping the walking sticks on poor Neville's head. He could be heard rattling suits of armour as he passed. I rushed over to Neville to make sure he was alright. He insisted he was but I know I saw his wince as I touched the already forming bump on his head. I knew Percy was speaking but I  was too busy fussing over Neville he was, so far, my only friend here after all. At the end of the corridor there was a portrait of a lady in a pink silk gown. She wasn't very skinny but I wasn't one to judge. I should have expected it but in all the fuss I'd forgotten about the magic paintings. "Password?" Asked the portrait. "Caput Darconis." Percy said as the painting swung forward to reveal a large hole in the wall. Everyone clambered up into the hole as I gave Neville a leg up. He seemed quite embarrassed by the help, though I saw no reason for it. We found ourselves in a round room full of large plush armchairs and sofas. The walls were red and the trimmings gold. There were study desks and students books were piled everywhere. I knew this was where I ought to be. Percy directed the girls and boys through opposite doors to our dormitories. up a spiral staircase we found the door labelled first years. I was first to step through the door and see the beautiful room. There were five four-poster beds hung with red velvet curtains. Before examining the rest of the room my dorm mates entered behind me with much squealing and shrieking. I turned to introduce myself. There was Lavender Brown as I remembered her. She had long blond wavy hair and wore makeup. I knew as soon as I saw her we wouldn't be close. Then Pavarti Patil, she had long braided black hair, dark almond eyes and dark skin. She and Lavender had ben fast friends leading me to believe she wouldn't be my closest friend either. Two other girls slowly entered the room last, one had a slightly upturned nose and short cropped brown hair. The other had wispy blonde hair that feel to her shoulders and a pale face filled with freckles. I stuck out my hand to the latter, "Hi, I'm Hermione Granger. It's a pleasure to meet you and I hope we can be great friends." The girl raised her thin eyebrows slightly at me but shook my hand anyway. I directed my hand at the short haired girl but she gave It a disgusted look and turned to the bed with very little things by the foot. The others quickly walked to the bed with their trunks at the foot and flopped down quickly gossiping about the days events. I walked to my empty bed and sat down pulling a thick book from my things and laying down to read. "Are you reading?" Lavender sounded shocked. I put my finger to mark my place and turned to her nodding slowly. The short haired girl laughed. "What a nerd. We don't have but one day at school and she's reading our course books." I feel my cheeks start to warm up but try to force the blush away. "I have all my course books memorised, I just wanted to know as much as everyone else because, well, because I'm a muggle born." I whisper quietly, ashamed. "You really think us purebloods would have to go to school if we new everything from our school books? For a nerd you sure are stupid." The girl laughed at her own joke but I just sat there wondering why she was being so mean, what have I done to her? I could see Lavender and Pavarti trying to hold back their giggles but the other two girls didn't bother they just laughed and laughed. Tears sprung to my eyes but I forced them down. I would not cry in front of them. "Well then, I'm going to bed. You would do well to follow suit." My voice comes out stiff and monotone. I sharply pull the curtains around my bed closed and let a single tear escape before tucking under the blankets and falling into a deep sleep, the excitement of the day momentarily forgotten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I DID IT!!! I updated! I would like to apolagize because I know this chapter goes from past to present tense. I was far too lazy to fix it. I will continue to update this story I don't know when my next update will be but I promise you it will come. please keep reading I need one comment on this chapter for motivation. I wont update with out one. sorry :) if you feel like it vote? anyway thanks for reading :)