Both of Us

Immediately following the fight with Kuvira, Korra didn't want to think about rebuilding the city. She didn't want to think about getting all the evacuees back into their homes. She didn't want to think about the new Spirit Portal. She didn't want to think about Kuvira's punishment. She didn't want to think about the Earth Kingdom or the Earth Empire or whatever it was now.

She definitely didn't want to think about whatever bad guy would pick a fight with her next.

She wanted to sleep.

So after a hastily scrounged together meal on Air Temple Island with Tenzin and his kids and Bumi and Kai (who wouldn't leave Jinora's side), Korra went straight to her room. She was a mess, and she was worried, and she was exhausted, and she was hurt, but she forced herself not to care about any of that. She peeled off her torn and filthy clothing and dropped into her bed in nothing but her undergarments.

She was sore all over, bruises all the way down to her bones. She was covered in scratches, itchy with dried blood. Her mind wouldn't shut down, running endlessly over all the events of the day, trying to account for all of her friends. The airbenders were all safe here on the island. Pema and Wu were with the evacuees. Mako and Bolin were in the hospital getting Mako's arm taken care of. The Beifongs were at police headquarters processing Kuvira and her army.

And Asami...

Korra squeezed her eyes shut tighter. Asami was a couple doors down, alone, dealing with the death of her father.

Korra had tried to comfort her. She had asked her if she needed anything, stood steadfast by her side when she heard that his body couldn't be recovered so there was nothing to bury. She had tried to get her to eat something, but if anyone was more exhausted than Korra, it was Asami. She'd gone straight up to her old room on Air Temple Island, and when Korra tried to go after her Tenzin told her to give her some space.

The Avatar sat up abruptly and kicked her legs over the edge of her bed. Korra had wanted to be alone after she was poisoned by Zaheer, but Asami stuck by her side anyway. It was time to return the favor.

So she stood up, threw on a robe from her closet, and marched down the hall without a second thought. She knocked twice, softly, and entered before she got a response.

Asami was sitting up in her bed with her knees drawn up to her chin, silent tears streaming down her face. She was still in the clothes she'd worn all day, right down to her boots, her hair was still tied back, and her tears were leaving trails through the dirt on her face.

Korra closed the door behind her. Asami didn't even glance at her.

The silence was important, Korra knew. So she didn't speak. She just wetted a washcloth in the basin on the dresser and sat down in front of her best friend, reaching forward and gently washing the dirt and tears from her face. She could have used waterbending, but she didn't.

When she was done, she tugged off Asami's boots and socks. Pulled the tie from her hair and combed it out with her fingers. Through all this, Asami never looked at her, never made a sound. The tears kept streaming down her face, but they were clean tears now.

The first time she looked at Korra was when the Avatar held her hand out to her. She took the hint and allowed Korra to pull her to her feet. Her gaze fell away again as Korra carefully went about the task of undressing her. The Avatar blushed just a bit, unable to stop herself from thinking of the other implications of the action, but if Asami noticed she didn't begrudge her the thought. She looked numb, hollow, and every time Korra saw that look in her eyes, her heart twisted painfully in her chest.

So she stripped Asami down to her undergarments and helped her slip into a robe, and Asami sat back down on the bed. Korra stood for a moment, purposefully ignoring the stinging at the back of her eyes. She wouldn't let herself cry. This was Asami's grief and she had no part in it. So instead she climbed into bed at Asami's side and wrapped her arms around her, lying down and dragging the heartbroken girl down with her. Korra pulled the blankets up over them and let out a long breath.