Reunited

Korra restlessly thumps her fingers against the brown rim of Pepper's saddle. Jinora is up front, her hands gripping the reins as she smiles and feels the whipping of free wind whisk through her hair, Ikki sits next to Korra, her eyes staring curiously at her as she lets her hand rest on Korra's knee, and Meelo sits opposite the two of them, shoving an impossible amount of food into his mouth.

The scene is silent; only the whispers of the wind can be heard, and it's this noise that makes Korra feel more nervous. It reminds her that with every passing moment, she is heading closer and closer to home – closer to the people she abandoned, and closer to her.

"Don't be nervous, Korra." Ikki says with a smile on her face as she turns her body to fully face her.

Surprised, Korra lets her body tense but her eyes still face out to the world, sweeping the vast ocean in front of her; the glimmering of the morning sun against the blue sets her on edge – she knows that they are far too close to home.

"Nervous?" Korra mumbles, her gaze falters down to her impatiently tapping hand, and she sighs. "I'm not nervous."

Ikki shrugs. "Yeah, you are!" she says and she pulls her hand from Korra's leg, weaving her fingers in with Korra's. "I'd be scared if I were you. I mean, I'd be happy to be going home, but arriving? I'd be sooo terrified – and I know you are too!"

Land begins to seep into Korra's view and her heart stops. She can taste the salty air of the ocean as Jinora lowers her bison, the cool laps of wind brushes against her face and sweeps her short hair from her eyes. She can feel the pulse of her heart and the pounding of her head and a weight in her chest that feels as if she holds the sky up on her shoulders. Her vision is somewhat spotty and the sun only hinders her further. The nerves in her only seem to build as the paradise of Republic city comes into view.

"Well, Ikki," Korra says, embarrassed that her twitching hand is sweaty and red against Ikki's. "I guess you know me better than I know myself."

"Nah," Ikki says. "Dad just says that you can be all rash and silly sometimes – I guess it's true."

Korra lets out a nervous laugh and the intensity of her heart rate increases. Every thump feels like a wallop to the chest, her heart pumping so furiously she feels as if it's on the outside of her chest – like someone could rip it from her clutches and throw it into the dark of nothingness.

"I guess so." She says, and she feels helpless.

They are close now; she can see Air Temple Island and she knows that everybody is waiting: Mako, Bolin, Tenzin, Pema, Rohan –maybe even Kai and Opal – but worst of all, worst of all, she knows that Asami will be there, and she is terrified to see her.

But she cannot wait to see those deep emerald eyes again.

Soon enough the bison slows and dips, and Pepper's feet land to the ground with a slight waver. Korra's breathing is heavy, and she watches as the rest of the kids clamber off and run into their parents arms before she climbs off herself.

Mako isn't here, but Bolin and Tenzin, Pema, Kai and Opal are, and in the midst of them all – all their smiling, friendly faces – is Asami, and she only stares at Korra.

Bolin speaks first. "Korra!" He exclaims; he and Opal are a distance apart. "It's great to see you!"

But Korra doesn't even hear him.

She runs straight for Asami, wrapping her in a tight hug with her head pressing against her neck, swimming in the gorgeous smell of her. Asami's silky black hair cascades around her as Korra entangles her fingers in it and pulls the girl closer, and Asami stays limp in shock. But then Asami gives a heartfelt laugh and squeezes her arms around the Avatar, resting her chin against Korra's head and crying ever so slightly.