Jumping Into The Dating Pool

When Bolin arrived at Mako's place he instantly knew something was wrong. The appartment was a mess; Mako had evidently not only forgotten to do his housework, but also thrown stuff around. He knew his brother must have been very, very upset. Normally his feelings did not get the better of him.

"Bro, whats up", he questioned when he entered the living room. An empty bowl was in front of the firebender, but he could not tell if the bowl had been full of noodles or sake. Or both maybe?

"Now Korra is dating, too", he answered and the mere mention seem to hurt him. Bolin knew what this was about. Some months ago they had found out Asami had jumped into the dating pool again, and it had hurt Mako a lot, too.

"How did you find out", Bolin questioned. With Asami it was just bad luck on her part. Team Avatar had met to eat something and when she took of her high collared jacket there had been a hickey. It seemed fresh, so she could not have noticed it, yet. She reluctantly admitted that she was seeing someone, but said she did not want to jinx it since she did not know where this was headed.

After much persuasion she allowed each of her friends one question about her mysterious boyfriend.

Bolin had asked if he was a bender. The answer: "The most hotheaded firebender ever!"

Mako had been depressed even then, but tried to fake a good mood when he asked if the other guy treated her right. Asami had told him: "Yes, I feel very safe whenever we are together."

In the end it was Korras turn. After much hesitation she asked: "Are you happy?" Which Bolin instantly recognized as the most important question of them all. He might even have interrupted and stated something to the matter, too. The CEO had just smiled and nodded, her face had spoken volumes: She was totally in love and very happy.

But now Korra had jumped the bandwagon.

"Mako?" Mako looked up, he did not seem to have heard the previous question, so Bolin repeated it. The firebender seemed in much pain when he answered: "She told me straight to the face when we were sparring together. She said she was on her way to a lunch DATE."

Bolin's eyebrows shot up: "She really said that?" - "Yeah." - "Sorry, Bro."

"Do...", the earthbender asked, unsure if he was overstepping some boundaries, "do you think she told you just to make you jealous?" - "No, not Korra", was the reply, "she seemed genuinely happy. I think she just talked without thinking... again."

"Im sorry, Mako", Bolin really was, it had to really hurt when you see your only two girlfriends move on. He knew he felt the same way watching Korra date his brother.

"I don't even know why it upsets me so much", Mako told, "I'm over her." - "Well, it does not seem like it", Bolin murmured a sentence that was not for his brother's ears.

"If you are, you will agree to a triple date", he said louder, and Mako furrowed his brows: "Sounds like a gang to me. Aren't they in war with the Red Monsoon?"

"You and me, Asami, Korra and their boyfriends", the earthbender explained his idea, "it could be fun." - "You really think so", Mako did not sound convinced, but his brother was on fire: "Sure, you just know a guy that can keep up with Korra has to be a lot of fun to be around."

Bolin thought on that statement for a moment, then realized who he was talking to: "Exceptions confirm the rule."

"So I was thinking, to keep the awkwardness flowing, you and your boyfriends meet Mako and me", Bolin told the girls when he next saw them at Air Temple Island. They just looked at one another. "You really think this is a good idea", Korra questioned and saw Bolin nodding in wide eyed excitement.