Twin Flame: Part 2

Opal along with the other air benders, have been searching the skies for Korra and other survivors since they saw her take down the giant mecha suit. The fight had been like something out of a mover. Opal had never seen something so dangerously breathtaking. The way Korra maneuvered the lava dragon was as if it was an extension of herself. It reminded her of Kuvira when they were practicing for their dance recital back home, way before any of this had happened.

Memories of the past brought up conflicting emotions for the air bender. Opal had loved Kuvira once. She was the only other woman in her home aside from her mother. Kuvira became something akin to an older sister for Opal. That's why she hated what Kuvira was doing. She felt betrayed. How could someone who had been there for her first heartbreak, the first person she'd confined to about her new powers become this monster.

Opal was pulled out of her thoughts when she saw Korra airbending out of the collapsed mecha suit. Korra was still glowing in the avatar state, which confused Opal. Since the weapon was destroyed she didn't understand why Korra hadn't returned to normal, and then she saw where Korra was headed.

Opal started to slowly descend closer to Korra and Kuvira when she saw Korra begin to raise her hand.

"NO! Korra, Don't!" Opal screamed.

Opal doubled her air bending to hurry down to the scene playing out before her. Korra, still enraged from the avatar state, was about to kill Kuvira with her fire bending. Opal figured talking to the avatar when she was like this wasn't going to stop her, so she did the only thing she could do. She pushed Kuvira out of the line of fire.

Opal used all the power she could to get down to Korra and Kuvira so she was unable to stop herself from crashing to the ground. In pain and fairly dizzy, Opal got up and looked over towards Kuvira who was out cold. The impact from Opal's unplanned rescue caused her to slam into the ground, effectively knocking her out.

Opal looked over to the spot where Kuvira had been half sitting to see Korra. The glow in her eyes was dimming until her nature ocean blues held residence in her eyes again.

"Opal are you okay?" Korra asked as she ran over to the woman.

"I'm fine Korra." Opal said slightly swaying on her feet.

"Why would you do that? I could have killed you!" Korra yelled.

"I couldn't let you do this Korra. I know you're upset but you wouldn't be the same if you- if you"

"I know. Thank you." Korra interrupted.

"I never planned on killing her, but seeing Asami like that. I just sort of lost it. I couldn't control myself." Korra explained, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Go to her. She's probably in the healing room on Air Temple Island. I'll take care of Kuvira." Opal said.

"Alright give me a minute first." Korra said and ran off towards the fallen mecha suit.

Ten minutes later Korra returned with makeshift handcuffs made from the platinum suit. Korra couldn't truly bend it but she used her fire bending to shape them as much as she could.

"I know she's unconscious, but she's dangerous. I can't feel safe if I leave you here with her without some sort of protection. Put these around her wrist and ankles. In case she wakes up she won't be able to do much bending." Korra said handing the handcuffs over to Opal.

With that Korra took off towards Air Temle Island, hoping she wouldn't be met with bad news.

/

"I'm trying everything I can but she's pretty badly hurt. I don't know if this is going to be enough to save her." Kya said softly to Jinora.