A Second Chance At Love

"What's going on between you two?" Mako asked angrily.

The whole time they were out it seemed like Korra and Asami were in there own world and Mako was just an unwanted tag along similar to Wu. To add insult to injury, he was taken aback by Asami's question to Korra, implying that she had wrote Asami and no one else. He didn't want to admit he was jealous of his ex-girlfriend being closer to Korra than himself but he couldn't deny it hurt his feelings. He missed Korra while she was gone just like Asami.

Asami and Korra just looked at each other after the loaded question was blurted out by Mako. Neither of them really wanted to explain the details of their complicated relationship to their ex-boyfriend. With the way Mako was they were sure he wouldn't understand and would feel betrayed by them but they couldn't hide it forever.

"Look Mako, I wrote Asami because it was just easier to talk to her about certain things than anyone else. I'm sorry if you're upset but I never intended to hurt you." Korra said ignoring the reason behind why Asami was a better choice than Mako.

"Well it's kind of hard to understand why she's easier to talk to than me. I thought all of us were your friends Korra." Mako responded clearly not willing to let this go.

Asami sighed knowing this wasn't going to be dropped by Mako anytime soon. Sure she may have let it slip that Korra wrote her and not him on purpose but she didn't expect him to actually say anything. It was petty but she wanted him to know about how close she and Korra were, even if it wasn't the complete truth.

"Mako I don't think now is the best time to explain this situation, given the place and extra company we have at the table with us." Asami spoke up hoping this would at least give her and Korra sometime to figure out if they were going to tell him about everything.

"I'm Wu's bodyguard. Wherever he goes I go, so the added company is something we're just gonna have to deal with. Stop trying to ignore the real issue here!" Mako half yelled.

"Oh wow, I've never seen you this angry Mako. You should really think about going to the spa with me when I ask. It can really help to release your str-"

"Shut up Wu!" Mako did yell this time causing other guests to turn and stare.

"Okay Mako you need to calm down. Wu may be an idiot but he was only pointing out your obvious fucked up behavior. If you want to have this conversation now then fine. But don't get mad at what you're going to hear." Korra interjected.

"The reason why I wrote to Asami is because she and I were dating. We had grown really close over the years we've known each other and it sort of just happened. But after everything that happened with Zaheer and me not being able to walk I got depressed. Asami was there for me every day, unlike some people who couldn't even stop by to see if I was still alive. I felt like a burden. Asami had a whole company to run but instead she was taking care of me, so I left. I figured I wasn't going to get better and keeping Asami tied down to a sinking ship wasn't something I wanted to do. I couldn't help but miss her so I wrote. It was the only thing I could do." Korra seethed.

That response was not something anyone at the table expected. Mako's mouth was agape, Wu was stunned and Asami was wide eyed that the realization.

"That's why you left me? Because you thought you were holding me back? Korra you're so stupid!" Asami was teary eyed now unable to keep her usual calm composer.

"Wait what?" Korra turned to Asami thoroughly confused.

"I loved you! I hated seeing you hurt and broken the way you were. Taking care of you was my first priority because that's what you do for the people you care about. All this time you wasted, we could have been together but instead you came to conclusions by yourself and shut me out. I can't." Asami was in tears now and completely overwhelmed.