21 - Cherished Day

A time around noon and a group of children between ages 7-9 were playing ball.

The children all happily played while passing the balls to each other.

"Haha you don't know how to shoot." a brown haired boy mocked another blonde boy.

" Nah, you just got short legs." the other boy retorted suddenly halting the ball game.

The other five in the group, two males and three females watched at the usual bickering.

It happened a lot, and they were always used to see it.

"Come on, you two, not again." a third male spoke while holding to the ball into his hands. " I'm not letting you play with my ball."

The two didn't bother listening to the boy and continued bickering

"I don't think they will listen to you." a young redhead girl spoke.

" Yes, Sophia is right." a girl with blonde hair said. "Let's play something else; I don't want to play ball anymore."

"Oh, how about we go and watch the soldiers work near the walls."

"Sounds like fun." the fourth male spoke.

"Hey, you two." a third young girl shouted getting the attention of the two boys who were fighting " You want to join us?"

"You bet."

"Of course."

Both boys answered before a certain redhead spoke.

"Isn't it dangerous?" Sophia asked, not liking that they suddenly decided to head near the walls.

"Not again, Sophia" one of the girls complained.

"You always chicken out, when we go play near the walls."

"We always go there, and nothing bad happens, you should go with us for once." the blonde boy told her.

"I can't, why don't we play near the river," Sophia asked in a low voice.

"We played there in the morning." the same boy pointed out.

"Forget about her, let's just go." the brown haired boy interjected, gesturing for the others to follow him as he walked away.

"Why bother with her, she will never go." one of the girls said as she followed.

" Scardy cat." one boy that Sophia disliked mocked.

"Ignore him." the blonde girl told her, " I'll see you later."

"Don't worry Sophia, I'll hit him for you." the boy holding the ball told her, "If you change your mind, you'll know where to find us."

All the kids ran, leaving the redhead alone.

Sighing, Sophia slowly headed back home.

It wasn't the first time such a situation happened, and the little girl has been used to it.

Arriving at her destination, Sophia sat on the porch of her house, silently watching people walking by.

It was still too early on the day, and the young redhead didn't feel like staying inside.

She kept watching for a good 5 minutes before the door behind her opened, and a black hair woman exited the house.

The first thing the mother noticed was her daughter quietly sitting on the porch.

'Something happened' the woman in her mid-thirties thought.

The female slowly made her way and took a seat next to her eight-year-old daughter.