Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR:

FAR AWAY

"Where did you come from?" Krisha asked, her tone a bit light.

She wasn't used to silence. Ever since she could remember, she was always surrounded by noisy people. Her mom, her sis, Jam, Kurtny and etc.

But right now, Zeke is too silent. Too silent for her liking. And yet she found herself more drawn by his silence.

"Somewhere." he answered, still looking ahead.

Krisha sighed. That's it. She gave up bringing any topic.

"Sorry." she heard him said.

She looked up and blinked a few times.

Did he just said sorry?

"What?" she asked.

"I know you've been meaning to talk to me. I appreciate it, but it's just that... I'm not good at conversations."

She smiled warmly at him. "You're talking now."

"I guess..."

She stopped for a while and looked up at the night sky. The sky was already dark, but somehow, she wasn't scared.

Not because of the stars adorning the heaven, nor because of the moon shining down on them. But because Zeke is here.

She doesn't know why she even felt that way.

They continued walking, and soon after, Krisha can finally see their house. The whole house was lit up, and outside, her father's car is already parked.

"Hey." she said, wanting Zeke to turn to her.

Zeke didn't answered. But she knew he was listening.

"What happened to you, Zeke?" she asked, biting her lower lip.

Zeke stood rigid and turned to look at her. "What do you mean?"

She shrugged. "I know there's always a reason why you are so aloof in or outside school."

"No. You just don't understand."

"How could we understand when you don't open up with people?"

"Why would I?" he spat back.

"Because in that way, you could have friends."

Zeke shook his head. "I don't need friends."

"Yes you do." she answered, and she swore she sounded determined than ever.

"Everybody needs friends Zeke."

"Not me." he answered, his gaze locked with hers. But somehow, he looked distant.

So far away.

"What happened to you, Zeke?" she asked and she saw him shake his head again.

"Nothing happened to me, Krisha." he answered. "Nothing."

If it they were not in this kind if situation right now, she could've have swoon by how his name rolled out of his lips. She could've melted by the way he said it.

But she didn't. She stood calm and met his stare with the same intensity.

"Nothing or you just don't want to talk about it. I understand if you do but-"

"You don't understand!" he shouted.

She was taken aback by his actions. Zeke looked so angry, and somehow, she felt scared.

Scared by the fact that Zeke is angry at her.

"Try me, Zeke. I promise you I will." she replied.

Zeke's lips curled up in a terrifying smile. "Desperate much?" he asked, stepping forward so he could tower in front of her. "I don't need people or even you to understand me."

"Why?" she managed to choke out the words even though she's terrified.

He closed his eyes, Krisha thought he was just trying himself to calm down.

"Why don't you stop asking Krisha?" he asked.

Krisha shrugged. "I don't know." she answered.

"It's irritating, don't you know that?" he asked.

"Yes. I know."

He shook his head. "You're unbelievable." he muttered.

"But determined." she replied cooly. "I am unbelievable, yes. But I am also determined to understand you. Just watch me, Zeke. One of these days, I will be your friend." she said.

Zeke looked away and stared at her house. "This is as far as I could go. Goodbye." he said, before turning around and started walking away until his whole figure was swallowed by darkness.

Krisha stared down at the ground. She wasn't sure if she did the right thing. But when she thought about it, Zeke's gaze was all she could see.

It was enough to break her heart into two. Not because she couldn't stop thinking about it, but because she remembered how distant it was.

So far away.

She heaved out a sigh and walked towards her home.