Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN:

BLACK BIRDS

Krisha stared at the window for a long time. Her English teacher, Miss Maria was discussing something at the front. Krisha however, was paying no attention.

She glanced behind her and saw Zeke listening to their teacher. Beside him was no one. Perhaps, Jam was absent today.

"Femme Fatale. Does any of you know what that is?" Miss Maria asked.

Krisha sighed and stared back at the window again. Only that this time, someone, or something is staring at her.

The massive tree outside their window was packed with crows. Worse part it, they were looking at her direction.

"Yes, class, behind every successful man is a woman." Miss Maria said but Krisha was not paying any attention.

She stared at the tree for a long time and a shiver went down her spine. She glanced around and found that Zeke was looking at her too. Only that this time, Zeke didn't plan on averting his gaze, at all. He sat there, unnerving while watching her.

Her heart began beating loudly. The crows, Zeke's stare. She firmly closed her eyes.

When she opened it, a big crow was flying in front of her.

She backed away and screamed. Everyone turned around and watched her, but she doesn't care. The crow was...

"Oh my God." she blurted out when she realized the crow was only her imagination.

"Miss Krisha?" her teacher asked.

"I'm not feeling well, miss." she answered and abruptly stood up.

She snapped her head at Zeke who was still looking at her without any expression in his face.

With a heavy sigh, Krisha left the room, leaving everyone, in shock.

***

"Stupid. Stupid."

Krisha kicked the lockers repeatedly. "Stupid." she cursed again.

She stood straight when she heard someone walking towards her way.

She turned around and realized no one was there but an empty hallway. She shivered and decided to walk away.

Where am I going? She thought.

She continued walking in that eerily quiet hallway. She passed by a numerous paintings lined up on the walls. It could've been the school's previous dean or benefactors. Either way, she doesn't care.

She stopped dead on her tracks when she found the school's dead end. A single painting was placed above a door.

In memory of The Fallen

She walked slowly towards it and looked up, her hands aching to touch the beautiful painting with the entricate writing in its frame.

Inside the painting, were naked men. Each of them holding weapons, spears, knives, swords. But the terrifying part is, they were killing each other.

One man in the painting was bent down on the floor, his back a bit arched, looking as if he was in pain. And beside him, was a fiery thing that surprisingly resembles a wing. Only that the wings are too faint to look at.

In memory of The Fallen

Does it meant, fallen angels? She doesn't know.

She shook her head and clutched the cold knob, twisting it slowly.

There was a 'click' sound, signalling that it wasn't locked. So she pushed it open, her feet seemingly excited to go inside.