Chapter Six

Chapter Six:

Deny

It had been days since she saw Zeke inside the crime scene. But she didn't had the chance to talk to him since he was very eager to leave and eventually, avoid her for the rest of the day.

But a day became two, until it became three and all Krisha wanted was to talk to him.

"Problem?" Kurtny asked.

"Nothing." she answered as she averted her attention back to the book she was currently reading.

"Here comes your lover boy." Jam announced while munching her favorite burger.

Krisha lifted her gaze and found Zeke standing beside the cafeteria's door.

He walked towards the counter and bought a bottle of water. After that, he scrambled away.

Krisha abruptly stood up and left her things in the care of Kurtny and Jam.

"Zeke! Zeke! Wait!" she shouted at him.

Zeke stopped and turned around, his eyes instantly finding hers.

She panted when she finally stood just a meter away from him. His expression, however, was unreadable.

"I have so much to talk to you." she said.

"I don't have much time." he replied, still clutching the bottle of water.

"Five minutes. I just need five minutes." she begged and she swore, she made her face look pathetic.

Zeke sighed and motioned for her to follow. Soon after, they were standing at the rooftop.

Zeke opened the bottle and drank the water in one go. She saw how his adam's apple moved and she fought the urge to squeal.

"What do you want to talk about?" he asked in a raspy voice.

"About Melissa. About that night and what you were doing inside the lockers days ago." she asked.

Zeke sighed. "I never knew Melissa. I thought the screams are not serious. I really thought someone was just playing and I... I walked inside the lockers because I realized it was partly my fault why she died."

Krisha eyed her thoroughly. Was he serious?

"Zeke, no one plays inside the school at night." she replied.

"I know... It was so stupid of me." he said.

Krisha shook her head. "I don't believe you. I know there's more to it, Zeke. I know."

"Then think what you want to think. I don't care." he retorted and she felt her cheeks flaming with anger.

"I'm going to tell the police about that night." she said.

"Then tell them. They will squeeze the truth out of you. And when you can't provide anymore, they will frame you as the suspect."

"'Course they won't. They're police."

"'Course they will, Krisha. They are police."

Krisha bit her lower lip and looked down, not wanting to meet Zeke's gaze.

"Don't do something stupid, Krisha. You might just regret it in the end."

Zeke turned around and started walking away. Krisha didn't moved and just watched how his figure is starting to fade away.