Chapter Ten

All rights go to the amazing mind that is Cassandra Clare for all the characters in this story. Carries on straight from the last chapter.

Jace's POV

So things didn't exactly go to plan. Meaning, we didn't really have a plan. And my brilliant idea to try and sneak in the room that Clary was in, didn't really work.

The two men who had caught me, unlocked the door and pushed me forward. I mean, this was one way to get inside. "Caught this one trying to break in." The man said, looking up at Clary who was sitting on another throne like chair at the head of the room. As I looked around I could see there was everything she needed. A large bed, a table of her weapons, her clothes, her throne. She was all set.

Izzy and Alec were pushed into the room after me. "These two were close behind. Heard them sneaking around." Clary gave a nod and the two men left the room. She got up from her throne and walked over to a bottle of whisky on the table. I couldn't help but just stare at her. She was somehow even more beautiful than when we had first met. She poured herself a glass as she spoke.

"So you got into the common then?" She looked down at our wrists. "Not long left now I assume. Hope you've gotten about your business here." She said, simply. She looked at us. "What are you doing here anyway?"

"That's all you have to say to me?"

"What else should I say?" She asked, almost bored as she took a sip of her drink.

"How about explain why you knocked me out and left Merton a year ago without so much as a goodbye?"

"Still holding onto the past I see." She looked at me. "It's old news. Who cares?"

"I care!" She sighed.

"You shouldn't be here Jace. Although you did give a hell of a show yesterday so I should thank you for that."

"I could have been killed!" I said angrily. She looked up at me.

"Don't be so dramatic. You weren't in any danger. I knew you could take him." She said, walking closer. She looked at me. "Would've been a better show if you'd actually finished the job though. Next time."

"I won't be fighting again." I said firmly.

She rolled her eyes. "Boring." She said before walking back to her throne.

"What the hell happened to you? Making people fight to the death and for what?"

She turned and looked down at me. "For what?" She asked. She walked back over. "For fun. It's entertaining. The people love that shit." She said as though it was obvious. "And I don't make them do anything."

"You made me." She looked me straight in the eyes, taking a step closer.

"We both know things are different when it comes to you."

"Why's that?" I asked. She smirked as she stroked a hand down my cheek.

"Because I love you." I looked at her shocked. I didn't think she'd say it. "Our problem was never love, Jace. It was everything else." She pulled away, walking back to her throne. She sat down, crossing her legs. She was enjoying this.

"If you don't force them, then why do they do it?" She gave a playful shrug.

"Work it out."

"Well they don't just do it because they want to." Alec finally added in. She sat forward, grinning.

"That is exactly what they do." We all looked around at each other. "I don't force anyone. You go ask them yourselves if you must. But I'm telling you, everybody has their reasons for walking into that arena. Of their own free will. Some do it for the glory, some for fun. Others, because they've simply just had enough." She looked up amused. "Most of them are just crazy though. But the crazies are always the most entertaining so I don't discriminate against mental health." We all looked at each other. Who even was this girl? She sighed as she looked at me.