Chapter Three

All rights go to the amazing mind that is Cassandra Clare for all the characters in this story.

Jace's POV

I looked over at Red as we heard the screams. "Please tell me I'm not hearing things?" She asked.

"No, I heard it too." We all stopped in place for a moment. Another echoed scream came and we all jumped back slightly.

"Can anybody tell where its coming from?" She asked, looking around.

"I think I have an idea." I said, looking up at the sky and seeing the red smoke. They all followed my eye line.

"It must be a flare." Red muttered, looking back at me. "Come on!" She said as she began to run. We all followed quickly after her, towards the red trail of smoke in the air. As we got closer, the screams got louder. I saw Red looking up at a building that was still half intact before she began running over. "I need to get a better look at what's over there before we go running in. Stay here." I gave a nod as she began climbing. I was slightly worried she was going to fall. She was gone for no longer than a few minutes before she was back again.

"What did you see?" I asked as she jumped down. She crouched low to the floor, looking around wearily. We all joined her at her level.

"Not good, I take it?" Alec asked.

"Remember that little theory I had about zombies surviving the blast?" I gave a sigh.

"Shit. How many?"

"Quite a few, but I reckon we could take em." She said confidently. I gave a smirk. "They're all surrounding the clave building, that's where the flare came from."

"Wait, I thought you said that's where the bomb was set off?" Isabelle asked. We all looked at Red.

"It was. That's the problem." She sighed. "There's nothing left. Its all just rubble, which means that those people must be underground. I don't know how the hell they even managed to get that flare to fire."

"Shit." Izzy said as she ran a hand through her hair.

"There must be a gap in the rubble or something." Alec guessed.

"Maybe, but clearly not big enough for anybody to fit through." I replied. Red sighed.

"One problem at a time. Zombies first, we get rid of them and think of a plan to get the people out when it comes to it." We all gave a nod. She got up from the floor, unsheathing one of her blades as she did. She held it out in front of her and began walking slowly towards where the zombies were. We all followed after her. She stopped at a close building. I looked around the corner of the wall before quickly ducking back behind it. I looked up at Red.

"A few?" I asked, incredulously. "There are over 20 of those flesh eating freaks over there. Do I need to remind you that we have flesh? And I kinda like having it still attached to me." All she did was smirk.

"Don't like a challenge?" She asked. I saw Isabelle looking over.

"We have to do this." She said. "We can't just leave them there." Red put a hand on Izzy's shoulder.

"We aren't leaving them, alright? We'll get them out." Iz gave a nod. I looked over again.

"Okay, so I'm thinking decoy." I said as I turned back around, but as I did I saw Red already walking over to the horde of undead. They all quickly turned towards her with a snarl.

"I swear this girl is crazy." Alec said as we all ran after her. I saw her push back one of the zombies, making it fall to the floor. She ran at it again, jumping on top of it before stabbing her blade through its head. She turned around quickly, seeing us. She started to run backwards away from the zombies, leading them away. She smiled largely as she pointed at herself.