Chapter Six

All rights go to the amazing mind that is Cassandra Clare for all the characters in this story.

Clary's POV

It was almost afternoon of the next day and everyone was now awake, still sitting silently in the room. Wyatt, Grace and Mike saw me and began walking over. Jace, Iz and Alec all followed. They all looked up at me. I didn't speak, just put my finger to the curtain and pushed it back slightly so they could see out. They looked out at the zombies, all having the same reaction. I sighed as I crossed my arms. I spoke quietly, not wanting to cause a panic. "There are hundreds of them out there. There is no way I can get 30 people through that horde and have everyone still alive at the end. Not the usual way, at least. We can't just walk out of here." I could have suggested portalling out but not only was I worried about physically being able to do it but also what everyone would have thought of me. I know that some people wouldn't take it as well as Jace, Iz and Alec did.

"You have any sort of plan?" Wyatt asked. "Cause I don't. I mean, we can wait it out. See if they move along. But I don't think that'll happen for a while and we don't have enough of anything to stay here for more than a few days."

"What are we going to do?" Alec asked. I gave a look up at Jace.

"What?" He asked.

"I have an idea. But you won't like it." They all looked at me as I picked up my two blades, putting them on the sheath on my back. I grabbed my daggers too, sliding them into place on my thighs.

"What are you doing, Clary." But he already knew.

"I'm going out there."

"No." He shook his head. "No way. What can you even do?" I looked to the group of zombies.

"The only way they're leaving is if someone leads them away." Everyone suddenly realised what I wanted to do. "I can do it. Make enough noise to distract them. And you'd be able to walk straight out the front door."

"No, okay? We will find another way that isn't a death wish." I looked up at him and spoke calmly.

"There is no other way, they aren't moving any time soon." I explained. "I've been up all night. Going over it for hours. And this is the only option. Someone has to lead them away. I've made my peace with it."

"Don't be a martyr." He said angrily.

"I'm not trying to be." Everyone just watched us.

"Fine, I'll go with you. Help lead them away while the others escape."

"It doesn't work with two people, Jace. I can't be watching your back as well as mine. But you know that."

"Then I'll go instead of you."

"No. You're one of the best fighters I've ever known. They need you to lead them away from here." He was about to argue. "Jace." I just looked up him.

"Don't do this. You can't-"

"What's wrong?" A voice said. We all looked down and saw Max staring up at us. I bent down and smiled.

"Nothing, sweetheart. I have a plan that will make things all better."

"Clary, don't do this." Jace said. "We can both go, we will-" I looked back at Max, cutting him off.

"Max do you remember me from yesterday?" I asked. He nodded.

"You're the boss." I smiled slightly. "You helped everyone." I nodded.

"That's right. And because they all listened to me, everyone was safe." I looked up at him. "Now, do you want Jace to be safe?" I asked. Max gave a small nod. "And do you trust me?" He nodded again. "Good." I took his hand. "Then I have a big job for you." I placed his hand in Jace's. "I need you to stay with Jace."