Chapter Two

All rights go to the amazing mind that is Cassandra Clare for all the characters in this story.

Jace's POV

I opened my eyes with a yawn and looked out the window, seeing it was now dark outside. We had been driving all day. I looked at the girl. Who I realised I was still calling 'the girl'. "Hey, we should really be stopping for the night. I don't want to be facing zombies in the dark."

"We'll be there soon." She said. I looked over at Isabelle and Alec, seeing them still asleep. We drove for another hour or so before we finally came to another small shop. It was the third or fourth shop we had passed in an hour but it was only at this one that the girl stopped. She swerved off the road and into a small carpark by the building. I woke up Isabelle and Alec before looking back at her.

"Why this one?" I asked as she turned off the engine and I looked up at the building. It was a complete mess. It was clearly run down and must have been closed up way before the outbreak. "We passed four on the way here." I stated. She took the keys out the ignition and unbelted. She looked back at us.

"Cause this is home base." She said before getting out the car. We all looked at each other before getting out too.

"What do you mean home base?" Isabelle asked.

"You ask a lot of questions." The girl countered. We all followed her over to the building. I looked toward the front doors and saw them boarded up with wood and sheets of metal, along with all the windows too. We followed the girl again as she walked around the building and over to a back door. She reached under her shirt and pulled out a key attached to a chain. I saw on the chain there was also a ring but I could only get close enough to read the word 'cam' engraved on it. I saw the girl push the key into a padlock before turning and unlocking the door. She looked back at us for a moment before pushing the door open and walking through.

As we walked in, all our surroundings changed and the room went from a dirty and broken space into a huge mansion like living room. I looked around and saw white marble floors with black sofas and coffee tables. There was a kitchen area, with white cupboards and worktops covered with hundreds of tins of food. Even some more doors, leading to other rooms. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I looked back at Isabelle and Alec, noticing they had the same look I had. We all looked at the girl as she smirked slightly. She turned and looked around a little before frowning.

"Apollo!" I heard her call. I then frowned before I heard a door creek open. I looked towards the noise and watched as a huge German Shepherd ran into the room and straight towards the girl. She bent down to the dogs level as he came to her. She looked up at us with a smile as she ruffled his fur.

"This is Apollo." The girl said and I watched as Isabelle bend down to stroke him.

"Wow, he's beautiful."

"Wait, but isn't a dog really unhelpful with the zombies?" Alec asked, now stroking him too. The girl shook her head.

"The opposite. He can smell and hear them coming before I can, it's a great alarm system. And he can fight pretty good." She said, rubbing behind his ear. She stood up properly and looked at us all before walking back to the door. I had the feeling that she didn't want to explain what was going on with this place or the way that we are going to get to Idris. But I think she also knew that she would have to tell us sooner or later.

We all followed her out and watched as she began grabbing the crates of food from the truck. I looked at Izzy and Alec before giving a shrug and deciding to help the girl. We got all the food inside and the girl had a quick look around outside before shutting the door and locking it. I walked away from the door and over to one of the sofas in the room. The girl had walked over with some food and we all sat down. We sat mostly in silence and I could see the girl was thinking. I put my can of food down and looked at her.