Chapter Five

All rights go to the amazing mind that is Cassandra Clare for all the characters in this story.

Clary's POV

It was starting to get darker as we kept walking and I was a little worried about being so out in the open at night. We'd been travelling down the same road for much longer than I expected. "How much further is it?" I asked Wyatt.

"Not that much longer now. We keep walking down this road for another 10 minutes and we are pretty much at the town. From there, the building we are meeting at is basically in front of us."

"Alright." I gave a sigh of relief. Wyatt smiled.

"Yeah, I'm gonna be glad to get there too." I looked over at him.

"You really think that they'll still be there?" I asked.

"Yeah, I do." He nodded, confidently. "I mean, they agreed to wait a week or so in that place just in case we just got held up, which we did, so they should still be waiting. I don't think they would have moved on yet, unless they really had to. But I believe we'll find them."

"That's hopeful of you." I joked. He smiled.

"Well, we all need a little hope. In a world like this, it's all we got." He said. In that way, I wished I was more like Wyatt. I wished that I was more hopeful and that I actually believed things would be okay, but to be truthful, I just didn't think like that. It was hard to see hope in any type of future when the world had gone to shit.

I looked behind me, seeing Isabelle, Alec and Jace hanging at the back of the group. I knew that I had to make everyone believe that I thought it would all be fine, because if they thought I didn't have hope, the one that was leading them, then they would all give up. I slowed down and waited for Izzy, Alec and Jace to catch up to me. I looked at Jace for a moment before looking away to Isabelle. I didn't really know what to say to him right now.

"Hey, how you all doing?" I asked as I walked in line with her.

"Yeah, we're good." She said.

"How much longer till this meeting point?" Alec asked, looking over at me.

"Wyatt says were another 10 minutes away."

"That's good. I'll be glad for some rest." Izzy said. I smiled.

"Yeah, long day." I joked. I was about to walk away when I heard a noise. I stopped, unsheathing my blade. The group all looked to me, seeming to get their weapons ready.

Jace's POV

"What is it?" Wyatt asked, seeming to already be standing next to Clary.

"I heard something." She whispered. I looked up.

"You're sure?" I asked. She gave a nod. She must have heard the noise again because she turned quickly behind her.

"I don't hear it." Wyatt said. Clary stepped forward then suddenly stopped as she looked into the pitch black forest. I saw her eyes widened.

"Nobody move." She said in a slow whisper. We all stopped, staying deathly still.

"What is it?" I asked. Before she had a chance to reply, we all saw it. It came at us fast out of the woods, pouncing straight at Clary. The wolf jumped on top of her, ripping at her clothes. She had dropped her blade and so she grabbed her dagger, sinking it into the wolfs side but the animal kept going for her. We ran over to help as quickly as we could. She managed to get her feet between her and the wolf, shoving it hard away from her. We pulled her up and the wolf came at us again. She swiftly picked up her blade as it jumped towards us. She arched her blade, swinging down on the wolf, killing it. She turned quickly, clearly thinking this wasn't the last of it. And she was right. We heard a howl from deeper in the woods. We knew they were coming.