Chapter 7: Hope

Two days later, me and my adoptive parents came to the hospital since Rachel was finally going home. The purple haired girl got changed into normal clothes and took her things.

During the ride home, Rachel kept on asking questions. My parents gladly answered all of them. "We're here!" Said Steve. We got out of the car and walked to the front door. I helped Rae bring her things. Rita opened the door and we entered inside. The young teenager started looking around the house.

"You're house is beautiful"

Rita placed her handbag on a table as she responded. "Thank you sweetie" I walked up to her.

"Want me to show you around?" She nodded her head at me. I showed her the bedrooms, bathrooms, the living room, kitchen, dining room and all. She stopped walking in front of a small table. Roth stared at a picture frame of me and her on my birthday some years ago.

She glanced at me with a questioning look. "It was my 13th birthday... Wish you could've been there this year, would have been as amazing as this one" I took the picture in my hand and stared at it.

"When was it?" She asked me.

I placed the frame back on the table. "The day you woke up"

"I suppose it wasn't that bad then"

I shrugged. "Yeah, it wasn't that bad. You woke up, but you didn't remember me so... that wasn't the birthday best either" Rachel nodded in understanding. She still felt guilty for not remembering anything, but it wasn't her fault, she didn't had to feel like that.

With all the months that had passed since the accident, the top of her hair was jet black and the bottom was a bluish purple. It was making a line. They were longer too, but not too much.

"I'm sorry"

Guilt and sadness filled her ocean blue eyes. That really saddened me. I hated seeing her like that. It broke my heart. "It's not your fault, you know that right?"

Rachel sighed and turned around to look at me. "I know, but... I still feel guilty for some reason" She stared at the ground. "Do you think it's my fault? I mean, what if it is my fault, the whole car accident thing!?" She was panicking. I placed my hands on her shoulder.

"Hey, calm down! It's not your fault, okay? You didn't do anything wrong" The teenage girl took a deep breath.

We stayed silent for a minute or two, until she broke the silence. "I-I-I'm hungry" She said shyly. I smiled at her. The food at the hospital wasn't the best, not at all. It tasted horrible and I remembered her saying she preferred to starve herself then eat the thing the doctor gave her some years ago.

Rita made spaghetti for the four of us, but mine was made with tofu.

Time passed pretty quickly and some hours later, Rita had the brilliant idea to make us watch Rachel's favorite movie, hopping it would trigger a memory.

I sat on the couch next to Rach. I heard her murmur some of the lines of the movie at the same time as the characters. She smiled happily, proud of herself for remembering some things. It made me extremely happy, to see her grin and sit there, next to me. Too know that there was a lot of chances that she could remember me. Hope made me feel better. Staying hopeful helped me, and a hell lot.