Chapter 6: Something's Don't Change

Two days later, I had just came back from school and I was waiting for Rita and Steve to come back home. They were still talking with the man. I think they were filling papers. I sat on a sofa one place. The sound of the clock ticking filled the room. I taped my foot on the floor. The minutes passed and I heard them arrive. They unlocked the door and entered. They walked into the living room and saw me. "Garfield? I thought you were going to the hospital to see Rachel" I shook my head.

"You still didn't answered my question... who's that guy? And why were you talking about her?" Steve and Rita glanced at each other. My adoptive mother smiled at me and they sat on the couch. "Why are you smiling like that?" I frowned my eyebrows in confusion.

"We have some good news Gar" Rita started. "You know how she'll have to leave the hospital soon" Said Steve. I hummed a 'yes'.

"Where are you going with that? Of course I know that"

"Well..." Rita continued. "She's leaving in two days and... she's going to live here" My eyes widened. 'She's staying here?' I thought. "In their testament, her parents had decided that if anything happened to them, we would have her guard"

"She's going to stay here? For real?" I was still in shocked. They nodded at me. A small smile appeared on my face. I stood up and started to leave.

"Where are you going?" Steve asked me.

"I'm goin' to see Rae"

I ran into the hospital and walked to her room. She was sitting on her bed. She looked at me and smiled. "You seem happy, what happened?"

I sat next to her with a grin on my face. "I have good news" I started. Her face lighted up. "You're leaving the hospital in two days"

"Yes, finally" I chuckled at her reaction. 'Something's don't change' I thought. The last time she went to the hospital, she had the same reaction when she learned that she was finally able to leave and go back home.

"And you're going to stay with us"

"Really?" I nodded at her. "I was kinda scared I would have to be with someone I don't know"

We stayed silent for some minutes. "Did anything ca-" She interrupted me.

"No and please don't ask that again. If I remember anything you'll be the first to know..." I stared at the ground.

"I'm sorry, it's just that-"

Rachel interrupted me again. "You want me to remember. I know... I'll remember when I'll remember"