Chapter 14

(Nox's POV)

Shadow moved restlessly in my arms. I tried to shush her without drawing too much attention to myself. The clearing was almost full now and they were all staring at me. Which is why Shadow kept squirming. "Shadow please!" I begged in my mind. It was killing me, having to do this to her.

"Sorry, but they're making me uncomfortable, Nox." her mind's voice was hushed and little scared.

"They won't hurt you, little one. I won't let them," my tone turned grim. Her squirming quieted, but I noticed her hiding her face into me. I hugged her tighter in response.

Kamara finally emerged with her deputy, or in other words, my mother. The tribe leader took her place comfortably and adressed me. "Nox you claim to have brought the peace maker and that she came willingly?"

"Yes ma'm," I mumbled but loud enough for her to hear.

"Tavern, is this girl you saw?"

I shifted Shadow in my arms and gently took her chin, turning her face to our physic. Tavern gave her a long look before nodding. As soon as I released her she turned her face back into my skin. "Aye," he replied.

"Nox, why is she acting like that towards you? Like..." my mother trailed off.

My face flushed and I looked at her wordlessly. Luckily, Tavern found his voice before me. "He accidently performed the bonding ceremony; 3 years ago,"

Kamara looked sharply at me. "This is the one...?"

"Yes ma'm," I mumbled again. Shadow's ears perked at the mention of the incident. I rested my chin on her head, looking very interested in the ground.

I heard my leader sigh. "It is good that you have brought her, young Nox, but a bonding is serious business. Now you must choose,"

Immediately my head snapped up. "Between what?"

The deputy spoke, and she sounded strict. The bond between mother and child was absent; I wasn't reassured. I'd definately get a whooping as soon as this was over. "Between her bond to you. She must either be your mate or your slave," her face was grim. "Choose."

“What? What are you talking about?”

Tavern bowed his head. “The bond can work two ways. If you don't recognize one side of it it'll fade away and can not be restored.”

Shadow spoke for the first time. "I don't get any say in this?!" her voice wobbled a bit but she scrambled out of my arms and stood defianly anyway. I felt cold without her.

Kamara admired her with an amused expression. "Well of course not. Males choose the mates. If the female complies then they are mates for life. Since Nox bit you this is not a normal choosing. You have no say child," her voice took on a gentle note. Shadow shot a look at me, shock and disbelief all over her face. I kept my eyes on the ground, guiltly. She began to back up, looking ready to bolt. Chase and Ivy formed a wall that her back ran into. They gripped her arms looking grim and uncomfortable. "Choose Nox," Kamara said again softly.

I looked at Shadow who was now glaring murderously and looking frightened. There was no way I wanted her to be my slave. With a glance at Kamara I sensed she, along with most of the nekos here knew what I would choose. Shadow however did not. Please forgive me, I begged silently and looked back to my leader. "Mate." I murmured.

She nodded, blinking slowly. "Very well Nox. Since she is to be the peace maker, she will receive her own rooms. Now you will sleep with her there. You can be her guard," Without a backward glance she turned and went back into her hut, signaling an end to the meeting. Quietly Ivy and Chase came forward with Shadow, handling her very gently. They both followed me to the little hovel that was prepared earlier in the week. There was only one entrance so it was secure. The two of them released Shadow at the entrance and she stormed inside, refusing to even glance at me.