Chapter 18

After Nox had made sure Cyrus had really left (he wouldn't rest until he checked) we both decided it would be best if we returned to camp to warn the unsuspecting nekos. When we reached it, there were some raised eyebrows at the sight of us together and I was sure they were all thinking the same thing. If you know what I mean.

I tried to ignore them as best I could while Nox dragged me by the hand to where Aysun was standing guard outside Kamara's impromtu hut. She eyed her son in surprise but there was love deep in her eyes. I could tell they were close. He nodded at her. "Mother." She nodded in return, an amused smile on her lips as she saw her son trying to be formal in front of his girlfriend. Or somewhat girlfriend... Wait, what would we call ourselves in the human world? Shaking my head to banish my rambling thoughts that I was pretty sure Nox could hear, I tried to pay attention to what he was saying. "I would like a minute with Kamara, please."

Aysun raised an eyebrow but turned and went into the enclosed space. Hushed voices floated out to us and before long she returned. "She is ready for you."

Nox squeezed my hand before releasing it and going into the cave, while I was left awkwardly standing with his mother. "Hi?" I waved a little.

She smiled in humor. "Hello." Aysun turned her gaze away, watching the other nekos move with purpose and determination. "So tell me, human neko, are you going to bless me with grandchildren anytime soon?"

My face turned bright red and I choked at the question. "Why does everyone keep asking that?" I questioned, completely flustered. First Ivy and now his mother? What did they take me for? Or maybe it was Nox, but that didn't make any sense either. He was sweet but that left no explanation for why everyone kept asking for me to get pregnant!

Her laugh sounded musical to my ears and it didn't take long to notice where Nox got his looks from. His mother was gorgeous. Short pixie black hair stuck out around her heart-shaped face. Somehow it managed to make her look even fiercer. Her eyes on the contrary were a bright an vivid blue, even bordering on the edge of teal. So his eyes must have come from his father then. Hmm, so where was his father? "Don't be alarmed Shadow, it's perfectly natural here. I know in your world it is considered an awful thing to mate often, is it not?" Not sure what she meant, I nodded heasitantly. "Here, mating means more kittens, more kittens mean more nekos and more nekos mean more hunters for food and more warriors for protection. We all are excited for new young."

Well when she explained it like that it made a lot more sense why everyone was asking. They just wanted to make the tribe stronger. Though somehow, I think I knew Nox's mother just wanted his son to have children. Its the grandmother instinct. "So how long are we expected to wait before...?" I trailed off uncertainly.

"Before you mate? Hmm I would say about two weeks at the latest." My eyes bulged as she nodded absently. "Neko's usually have twins or triplets, so more offspring are expected. You will be pregnant for about 5 months, and after that- children!" She beamed while I felt a little sick. "Im sure they'll be beautiful and strong, just like their parents." her smile softened and I glanced at her. Was that a compliment?

Furthermore, I had to give birth to more than one neko? For one, I didn't want to give birth at all. Secondly, two? I didn't think I could handle one! But if Aysun was expected at least two, did that mean Nox expected that as well? Oh, I was getting a headached. Speak of the devil, Nox walked out with Kamara in tow, both faces grim. He returned to me instantly, slipping an arm around my waist. The action seemed posessive and for a moment a spark of warmth with through me. I was his, children or no children.

His head swiveled around the clearing, locking eyes with several other males who had been watching me as I talked to Aysun. I hadn't noticed them, but his possesive stance made sense now. Nox glared, showing his teeth at the others as his grip around me got ever tighter. Slowly the older males drifted away but they didn't look afraid by Nox's threatening. More like they were bored.