Chapter 6

(Nox POV)

Nox sighed, trailing his fingers through the lake water. He lay on a large rock that stretched over the water, allowing him to be close to the lake without actually getting wet. This was his favorite thinking spot as it had been for three years. "Stupid girl." He growled to himself as he rolled over to look at the rising moon.

His heart throbbed painfully and he winced, but he also noticed that it wasn't as painful as it usually was. Huh. Maybe she's dead! Nox thought with enthusiasm that soon withered away from the pain that erupted at that notion. He groaned and covered his face with his hands. This was unbearable. He should have never gone through that stupid portal and bitten that stupid girl! That stupid.... beautiful..... girl."Damn it!" Nox banged his head against the rock over and over again. "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow." He continued to chant.

"Nox!" A voice exclaimed. "You stop that right now!" He looked up to see his sister, Ivy, standing over him.

"Why should I?" He replied miserably. Nox's green eyes were full of sorrow and his sister frowned.

Ivy sat down next to him and petted his head. "You're thinking about that blasted girl again aren't you?" He nodded sadly and she growled. "I'm going to kill her if I ever see her."

A vicious growl started in Nox's throat and he glared at his sister who looked at him in fear.

"Don't even think about it."

"I'm sorry." She squeaked.

The boy relaxed once more and sighed, "Sorry. I didn't mean to. This feeling has me all screwed up. But Ivy... if you tried to kill her.... I don't know if I could just stand by. I'll protect her, whether I want to or not." He warned her.

Now Ivy sighed. "I know you would and I was just kidding." Nox looked at her doubtfully. "Okay maybe I wasn't, but you have to see my point of view for a second. It's your birthday! You should be happy. Plus your guard ceremony is tomorrow. Instead you're sitting here moping."

Nox stayed silent for a moment. "Turning 18 isn't that special. I don't care about being a guard that much anymore. She turned 16 yesterday." He said absentmindedly. Ivy glanced at him in shock.

"How do you know that?"

He only shrugged. "Her mom had a birthday card for her on the fridge when I was there. Saundra..." Nox breathed with longing.

"Alright, get up!" Ivy demanded, pulling Nox to his feet. "You are going to come with me and see what the patrol encountered to get some nasty scratches like they have and you are going to be happy about it!"

"Don't count on it." He muttered but followed Ivy to the clearing to see what news they would bring. Aysun, the deputy, and Screech and Nix, both guards, stood before Kamara explaining their meeting with a bunch of Sun Tribe apprentices who had found a strange girl on their territory. Kamara ordered Aysun to her den to talk some more and Screech and Nix went to go get their scratches looked at.

That's when a sweet, hauntingly familiar scent hit Nox's nose. "Saundra." He murmured and followed it to the Healers hut where Screech was getting his finger looked at.

"And then the stupid brat bit me!" He exclaimed to Nura who shook her head in sympathy. Nox approached him carefully.

"Hey Screech." he greeted.

"Oh hey Nox. Did you need something?" The man asked dropping his conversation with Nura.

He nodded. "Where did you get that scent from?" Nox couldn't stop himself from blurting it out. "It just smells different?" The boy quickly covered nervously.

"Ya it does, doesn't it." Screech agreed nodding his head slightly. Nox held back a sigh of relief. "That girl that Sun Tribe found? It came from her."

"T-thanks." With that Nox bolted out of the hut and out the entrance to the camp. His feet seemed to barely move fast enough as he raced to the border. When the dry hot stench of Sun Tribe reached him he stopped breathing heavy. He stared intently to the other side, where his heart pulled him. Saundra was here and those hot headed freaks had her.

Nox let out a small whimpering noise despite himself. He had to see her again. Soon, before his heart shredded itself completely.

(Shadow POV)

Esi and the others had left awhile ago, returning me to my cage so they could go discuss what to do with me. I was restless, tapping my feet and clawing at my prison. Cyrus just sat on one of the cots and stared at me. It was really annoying, "Would stop that?" I snapped at him. I hadn't meant to but I was cranky. There was just this feeling I had, I wanted to go into the forest. Right now. A sigh escaped me as I looked at the trees longingly.

"Sorry." Cyrus finally murmured. "It's just weird. Why did you hide your ears from us?"

"Because that's what I did at home."

"So where's your tail?" He continued to pester. Sighing with annoyance I ended up slipping my jeans off, the process pulling my tail free. No I was not in my underwear; I still had on my pajama pants from early, which were altered for my tail. It was altogether more comfortable. Cyrus crouched next to the cage and stuck his fingers through the bars. Strangely, he began to pet my tail like it was some kind of precious toy. "It's pretty." He commented slowly. "You shouldn't hide it."

I looked at him in shock. "Um....thanks? I guess..." I trailed of uncertainly.

He chuckled. "Yes, that was a compliment." Cyrus continued to pet my tail and a purr started to rise out of my mouth but I quickly stopped it; I was not aloud to purr. I moved my tail so it was curled against my body and turned my head away. "Why don't you purr?" he asked confused.

"Because I don't want to. I am not a cat. I am a human being and I will not purr." I told him, crossing my arms.

His eyes darkened and he moved closer to the cage. "You are still part cat. Its not natural for you to not purr. " He broke off as Zoran and the others entered. "This isn't over," he whispered. I ignored him.

"Shadow," Zoran started. "We have decided to let you stay, but you'll have to be guarded. Just to make sure you don't cause any trouble. By Cyrus, since he found you." With that he started to walk away.

"Hey! Seriously? Him! Can't it be someone else? And can I please come out of this cage?" I objected. He stopped and turned around.

"No it cant be someone else and yes you can come out." Then he was gone. Talk about authority.

Immediately I turned to Cyrus. "Let me out." I demanded.

"No, I don't think I will." he teased.

"Cyrus." Azaria called sharply from inside her hut. He grumbled all the way but he let me out. I yawned hugely and glanced at him.

"Where am I sleeping?"

"In here I guess." Was his reply.

"Then I'm going to sleep." I told him and marched over to a cot where I sat down and pretended to go to sleep. Cyrus sighed and pulled another cot so he slept next to me. Surprisingly I didn't feel like asking questions about where I was. I didn't care. I obviously wasn't in any danger so why should I worry? Humans weren't here.

Today had been a very strange day. Very strange indeed.