Chapter 23

The next day, Nox and I both were quiet and thoughtful. The camp itself wasn’t as active as usual, and everyone left the two of us in peace. Males noticeably gave us a wider berth, their nods of respect saying it all. I watched the sun with varying degrees of anxiousness and impatience but Nox was calm. The healer re-bandaged his rib and gave him some salve for his scratches but didn’t seem too concerned. Nekos had a higher healing rate than normal humans so his estimate of leaving tonight wasn’t as far-fetched as I originally thought; he was already half-healed.

            Deccan was also obviously absent, of which I was grateful, but I couldn’t help wonder where he had slunk off too. For now, however, he was the least of my worries. I tried to get Nox to focus on practical matters, such as packing some food and clothes away but he silenced me with a kiss and told me not to worry about it.

            But how could I not? Even as the sun began to lower I was still pacing and shooting glances at it, unsure of what I should be doing. Eventually Nox put me to bed and I had no choice but to obey.

*~*~*~*

            The shaking of my shoulder woke me and I blinked, trying to make sense of the darkness. Nox’s eyes glowed in the darkness. “Time to go, little one.”

            I was suddenly wide awake, and sat up, ears twitching. My face was grave. “Are you sure about this? Do you really want to leave?”

            He picked up my hand and kissed it. “Yes. It’s the only way I can get some peace of mind about your safety,” he attempted to smirk but it fell a little flat, his eyes troubled.

            “Then we’ll go.” I gave a short nod.

            We both rose and Nox took a minute to look me over, adjusting my clothes and other things, though I wasn’t sure why. At last, his gaze moved to the hole I’d used to sneak out of not that long ago. He gestured for me to go first but at the sound of steps we both snapped our heads to the entrance of the hut. “Whose there?” Nox hissed, claws already out.

            “Relax, brother.” A sweet voice broke the tense silence, soon followed by Ivy’s smiling face.

            Nox relaxed immediately. “Ivy. What are you doing here?”

            She threw something at our feet and it landed with a very solid thud. I kneeled down next to it and began sorting through the small knapsack, discovering bandages, matches, and other various items. I glanced at her in question. “Figured you guys could use some supplies. Since you know, you’re trying to leave without saying goodbye.” She shot a disgruntled look at her brother, whose ears flattened guiltily.

            “I thought you’d tried to stop us.” Nox admitted.

            “Honestly,” Ivy rolled her eyes. “Clearly that’s not the case.”

            “Give us a little more credit here,” Another voice spoke up from the darkness. We turned to see Chase leaning against the doorjamb, his face somber. “We can see reason, you know.”

            “You too?” He let out a sigh, but a tired smile was creeping onto his face. Chase nodded.

            “Mother is not going to be very pleased with you.” Ivy continued. “You’re lucky I spoke to her. She agrees you should go, but wants you to come and visit.”

            His face automatically fell into relief and he let out a breath. I laughed and stood quickly, throwing my arms around her in a tight hug. “Thank you so much.”