Chapter Thirteen

After their little episode with the police, the rest of the drive was very quiet. They had driven for hours and it was just really boring. As usual. The scene outside was boring so there wasn't anything for Beth to look at. There was nothing to do in the campervan but listen to the radio which basically replayed the same old generic shit. Boring.

Beth sighed and lay back on the seat, feeling slightly tired and of course, once again, very bored.

"I'm a bit tired" Jack yawned rubbing one of his eyes

"Maybe we should stop for a bit, driving when your tired is dangerous" Beth suggested "We don't need to have a car accident now"

"We'll need to find some shitty place that's hidden away, we can't risk being seen" Jack said

"Good plan" Beth nodded

After a bit more driving, he finally pulled into a place a bit off the road. He parked the campervan behind another one and they climbed out. The place would have been lucky to be one star but it didn't really matter at this moment. If Jack rested then they could continue driving and get this over and done with. The drugs were just a little bit of our problem. Now they had those guys coming after them, that seemed to be the worst part of it. They could die.

They got a room instantly and it was very tiny. There was a small double bed, a bathroom and a table. Very basic but as long as there was a bed to sleep and a bathroom, they would be more than fine. The first thing they both did was use the bathroom and then jump into the bed. The bed was actually quite comfortable apart from the itchy covers that they threw away on to the floor. They could have slept in the campervan but Beth for one was sick of being in that thing and Jack agreed.

They slept for a while as when Beth woke up, the sun had gone down and it was dark outside. Jack was still fast asleep so Beth decided to go wash her face and wake herself up a bit. When she entered the bathroom and locked the door, she was startled by the hand gun sitting in the sink. Jack must have left it in here. She moved it out of her way very carefully and washed her face. It woke her up a lot and she felt slightly refreshed. She was about to unlock the door when she heard a bang in the room making her jump back from the door. She was confused until she heard voices.

Someone had found them.

Beth put her hand on the lock and opened the door only slightly to see what was going on. Panic surged through her body as she saw a guy with his hand around Jack's throat and his other hand with a knife in it. There was another guy standing with a gun in his hand. Beth had no idea what to do, they were going to die. Jack hoped she would think of something soon as these guys were not playing around. Beth's eyes met the gun in the sink and the idea struck.

Beth took a deep breath and opened the door and stepped out. Jack looked at her with wide eyes making the guy with the gun turn around. She pushed down on the trigger and he fell to the ground. That distracted the guy who had Jack against the wall so Jack could take him down, which he did. He managed to get the knife from the guy and take him down with it. It was not pleasant to see, not that Beth was fully focused on that. She was completely shocked about what she had done. She could barely breathe and couldn't move.

Beth looked at the ground to see the consequences of what she had done. She had killed someone.

"Beth, I was not expecting that from you" Jack breathed out

Beth didn't say anything. She was in shock. She had shot a gun and killed someone. She was a criminal.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked

Beth looked up at him with wide eyes. A tear fell down her cheek as the guilt surged through her body.

"What have I done?" Beth croaked

"We have to leave" Jack said taking the gun from Beth's hand

He started picking up the stuff they had brought into the room with them and slung the bag over his shoulder. He made sure the gun was on safety before tucking it into his jeans.

"Come on, Beth" Jack said opening the door and taking her hand

They walked to the campervan calmly and once they were in and comfortable, he started the car and drove off, leaving everything they had just done behind.

"I can't believe I just killed someone" Beth mumbled after a couple of hours of driving.

"Why did you do it?" Jack asked

"They were going to kill you" Beth said not making any eye contact with him

"So? You always talked about getting away at the beginning but you have been nothing but helpful" Jack said

"I don't know what's going on" Beth said

"It's confusing for me to but I'm not complaining," Jack said

"Yeah," Beth mumbled, getting off the seat at the front of the campervan and went to lay on the bed.

She lay in the bed contemplating everything that had happened only a few hours prior. Jack was right, it was all very confusing. Why was she helping him when all she wanted to do was get away from all of this? She was a criminal now. She killed someone on the spot with a gun. She didn't care if he was a bad person, she didn't know if she could live with the guilt. What if he had a family who relied on him?

The worst thing of all that Beth couldn't understand was why she wanted to stay around Jack and no longer had the urge to find a way to escape him? She had a real problem here.