Chapter Three

The day after Beth was attacked in the car park, it was safe to say she felt uneasy. James didn't have a day off work but he was finishing early so she only had to be alone for a little while. He didn't want to leave her alone but he didn't have a choice. Beth spent her morning cleaning up the apartment and doing everything she could to take her mind off what had happened.

After a while, she did relax and decided it was best if she went to get some food for the house considering they were running low. It was broad daylight so she didn't really have anything to be afraid of. No ones really stupid enough to attack someone when they could get caught so easily, she hoped.

Once she was at the shop around people, she felt relaxed. She picked up everything she needed for the house and made her way to till. She pushed her shopping cart into the line but she went a bit too far and hit the man in front.

"Oh I'm really sorry" Beth said

"It's fine" He grumbled

"Sorry" Beth said feeling like she had annoyed him

"I said it was fine" He snapped turning to look at her

She recognised him but she wasn't sure why or where she had seen him before. Tattoos, angry look, a bit intimidating. She realised it was the strange man she had stitched up a few days back.

"Ohh you're Lucas right? How is your arm?" Beth asked

"Fine" He said

Beth stayed silent. This was awkward and she felt uncomfortable. He bought his items and walked off but not before turning around and saying one line that shattered Beth's relaxed feeling

"You should be careful when you're out Beth, after yesterday you should be more aware" He smirked

He walked off before Beth could even question him. How did he know what happened? He wasn't there. Was it him who attacked her? So many questions ran through her head. It couldn't have been him who attacked her as she would have recognised him. Was he in that group of men who approached her? He's in a gang? She was in a bit of shock that she had completely forgotten about where she was.

"Miss, are you okay?" The shop assistant asked snapping Beth from her thoughts and look away from the spot Lucas was in previous

"Yeah," Beth said pushing her cart forward.

Beth rushed off to her car after paying for her items and drove away as fast as she could. She felt so uneasy again. Who was this guy? How did he know her name and most importantly how did he know what had happened to her? As she was driving she could see a black car with tinted windows driving really closely behind her. Not that it bothered her at first but it stayed so close to the back of her car and followed every turn she took. Beth began to get paranoid. She couldn't see who was driving which made it even worse. Was it him?

Beth drove home and rushed into her apartment with the items she had bought and peered out the window. The car drove past and down the street making her sigh. She knew she was probably just being a bit paranoid after what had happened the day before.

"Beth!!!" James said barging in the door

"James don't do that" Beth said putting her hand over her heart which was now beating out of her chest

"Sorry, what are you looking out there for?" James asked

"No reason" Beth shook her head "I bought us stuff for dinner tonight"

"Oh good, what did you get?" James asked

"I'm making us spaghetti bolognese" Beth smiled "Your favourite"

"It certainly is" James grinned

"How was work?" Beth asked as she began making their dinner

"Same old, busy day but I'm happy I got to finish early today" James said "What did you do today?"

"Tidied up and went shopping" Beth said

"Are you okay?" James asked "You look very pale"

"I'm completely fine" Beth smiled

"I feel like you're lying," James said

"I'm not, James" Beth lied.

"Whatever Beth, you know I'm here if you need to talk" James said

"I know you are but there isn't anything to talk about, I promise" Beth said forcing a smile.

It took Beth a while to make dinner as she kept stopping to talk to James but when it was done it was delicious. James and Beth watched some movies and snuggled on the couch after dinner and had a few drinks. Not in a romantic way of course. James was sort of like Beth's gay best friend without the gay. Both of them could walk around in their underwear and no one would feel awkward or uncomfortable. They had a weird sort of friendship but they both loved it.

"It's almost one in the morning, you should be getting to bed for work tomorrow" James said

"Ugh don't remind me, I have a twelve hour shift" Beth said "I don't want to go"

"Hey you picked the profession" James smiled

"I know, I know" Beth sighed as she got up from the couch.

Beth made her way to her room and changed into her shorts and shirt she wore for bed. She climbed in and sighed as she set her alarm for 6am.

"Goodnight Beth" James said knocking her door as he walked by to go to his

"Night James" Beth shouted back to him

Beth shut her lamp off and shut her eyes trying to fall into a sleep. However she couldn't. She just lay there with her eyes shut hoping for her body to fall into a deep slumber. She felt uncomfortable so falling asleep was hard. She kept checking the time. It must have been around 3am before she even began to fall into a light sleep.

Beth woke up with a jump when she heard something move in the apartment. She looked at her alarm clock which read 4:30am.

"What are you doing James?" Beth whispered to herself as she got out of bed and wrapped her dressing gown around herself. She was ready to scold James for waking her up.

She opened her room door into the dark living room. The only light was the moonlight shining in through the window as they never really shut the curtains.

"James?" Beth whispered loudly making her way to his room door.

She opened his room door to find him sound asleep. She was worried she was hearing things.

Beth turned back to the living room and no one was there. She must have been hearing things. She checked the kitchen first just in case and there was nothing out of place. She decided she was going crazy. Shaking her head, she made her way back to her room making sure not to wake up James because he would be so pissed. Her room door squeaked a bit as she opened the door. She shut it quietly behind her and turned to face her room.

Beth jumped out of her skin when she turned to be looking right at someone's chest. Just as she was about to scream, he silenced her with his words.

"If you dare to even make a noise I won't hesitate to stab you right in your heart" He said poking his finger on her chest where her heart was

Beth looked down at his hand and she could see the metal shining as the light from outside her window hit against it. She knew he wasn't kidding.

Looking at his face, her heart stopped. It was him.