Chapter Twelve

Beth woke up the next morning feeling incredibly comfortable. The bed was a lot better than the seat that was for sure. She could feel a warm hand against her stomach which made her stop her waking up movements for a second. That was Jack's hand, on her stomach. She wasn't sure if he had rolled over to spoon in her in the night but it was weird.

Jack began to move around and Beth decided she would shut her eyes so he could possibly leave the room so they could avoid talking about the fact they had spooned. Jack yawned and stopped moving for a second. He moved his hand slowly off Beth's stomach and mumbled something under his breath before he got out of the bed and left the room.

Beth took the opportunity to go to the shower and get a well needed wash. Once she had done everything she needed to do, she changed into her day clothes and went to make herself food.

Jack was in the front seat on his phone. Once he saw Beth, he hung up.

"Clearly you slept well" Jack said

"Well the bed is comfier than that seat" Beth nodded opening the small fridge "We don't really have any food"

"We'll get something soon, we need to leave" Jack said

"Are those people from yesterday going to be after us?" Beth asked

"I'm going to assume so but if we make it across the border we should be fine" Jack said

Beth nodded and sat in the front seat next to his. He started the campervan up and they drove off.

"What if they catch up with us? What will we do?" Beth asked as her curious mind churned

"In that situation, I want you to have this" Jack said opening the glove box and pulling a gun out

"No Jack, I can't use that," Beth said, shaking her head. She could never take another person's life or even injure them. She knew she didn't have it in her.

"Listen Beth, I need to make sure that this all goes right and you're either with me at this point or still against me, I'll do my best to make sure they don't catch up with us" He explained putting the gun on Beth's lap. She was a little scared to touch it. She had never handled a gun before.

"Okay fine, when will we make it to the border?" Beth asked

"If I continue to drive a lot today and tomorrow, maybe tomorrow night or the following morning" Jack said

If they kept driving then the men wouldn't catch up with them. Well at least that's how Beth was going to think for now. Keep it positive. She couldn't believe Jack had trusted her with a gun. How does he know she wouldn't turn it on him and kill him and then drive herself somewhere for help. She wondered if this was a test. The gun may not be loaded and he might be testing her to see if she would turn the gun on him and try and kill him but then obviously she wouldn't succeed because she didn't have any bullets.

Beth was drawn out of her thoughts when she felt the campervan slowing down and pulling over and the faint sound of a siren.

"Beth, we need to think of something to get rid of him" Jack said looking at his mirror watching the police man approach the campervan

Beth nodded and went to the back of the campervan. She needed to think of a way to get rid of him now. She didn't want Jack to kill another person. It was completely unnecessary right now.

"License and registration" The police officer said as Beth watched from behind

As Jack got the documents he needed, the police officer explained to him what he had done wrong. He was speeding. Of course he was, they were technically being chased but they couldn't say that. He was a criminal in this too.

In all Beth's time in the presence of Jack Verona, this amazing criminal, she had never seen him get flustered but right now he just couldn't put his words together properly. It seems the police officer noticed too.

"Please step out of your vehicle" He said with an authoritative voice

Shit. Beth had to think fast. She grabbed a pillow from the bed and stuffed it up her shirt and before Jack opened the campervan door, she began to shout.

"Honey please hurry the baby is coming" Beth shouted and clutched her stomach like she was in pain

Jack turned to Beth and for a second he looked at her like she was a crazy person but then he clicked on.

"Please, I don't want to give birth in the campervan" Beth groaned clutching the back of his seat

The police officer observed the situation. Jack grabbed Beth's hand and told her she would be okay and they would be at the hospital soon. Apparently they were convincing enough.

"Okay I'll let you go this time, I understand why you were over the speed limit, please get to the hospital quickly but in a safe limit" The police officer explained. He handed back the documents and went back to his car.

Once he had driven off, Beth pulled the pillow out from her top and placed it back on the bed. Jack had started up the campervan again as Beth joined him back at the front.

"That was really smart you know?" Jack said

"I'm just smart" Beth shrugged

"Why did you do that?" Jack asked

"Why wouldn't i?" Beth questioned

"You could have just told him the whole situation and then you wouldn't be here, you'd probably be going home and id be going to jail" Jack said

"I don't want you to go to jail" Beth mumbled not completely in the know of what she was saying

"Why not?" Jack asked

"I don't know" Beth said leaning her head against the window

Beth wasn't sure why she was thinking like this or why she was getting so into this. It's almost like she had forgotten what had happened. Jack had kidnapped her for his own selfish reasons of using her to look like his partner so she could help smuggle drugs. Basically that was it. For some reason, she didn't want to tell everyone what he had done though. She always used the excuse of him being her only way back but there are other ways. She didn't know what she was thinking but Jack liked it. He felt less worried about her running off.