SEVENTEEN

17.

a dance.

.

.

.

The gala had arrived, along with the end of the trainee's week of rest. I was given a dress to wear, which I wasn't excited about, and was sent a message from the queen that she'd talk to me about what next steps to take when the gala came around. I hadn't seen Soren this week, and I couldn't help but remain curious as to what he had been doing in the span of time I had been resting.

The dress I put on while waiting for Willow was long and stopped just against the floor. It was a light mauve color with slacking sleeves. The trim along the top of the dress over my chest was decorated in thin fur, and I was grateful for the coverage. The top part of the dress was plain, but I liked it better than anything extravagant. It had floral patterns etched into the silk fabric, and I noticed some of the lighter cloth seemed to glitter against certain lighting I hit. I was also given white dress shoes to wear, which I was terrified to put on.

How can people walk in shoes like these?

I was surprised the dress fit, as I had filled out and contentedly gained muscle and weight from training. Toned muscles in my shoulders and my arm showed as I lifted them while adjusting the dress, as I saw in the bathroom mirror. My skin looked much darker in the dress, and I noticed the burn scars on my arm weren't as prominent as they used to be, but still noticeable. I found myself feeling self conscious about them, but I didn't understand why―I'd spent most of my life easily showing my amputated arm, so what was the difference?

This is exposing more of you, that's why, my mind told me.

I felt vulnerable.

But I was also strangely anticipating the gala, because if the queen was going to do what I thought she was, then I was to be announced to the rest of Amia tonight. There were going to be more important people there than the ranked military officials of the academy; at least that's what Willow and Catherine told me. I wasn't familiar with the politics of Amia, but famous aristocrats, philosophers, and even some clerics of the three goddesses would be there. Willow explained to me that it was an exciting time of new forces for the country; but I found the support oddly contradictory, as it was strange to me that this was celebrated instead of higher ups not striving to have no need of soldiers.

When Willow showed up, she was dressed in a dark red dress that complimented her complexion. She had gotten it from home, apparently, and the article of clothing was something she called a trumpet dress. It was different from what I was wearing, which Willow told me was an A-line dress. She also had her hair up in pins; and when she saw my lack of touch to my hair, Willow decided to take care of it. I had thought I would just leave it in a braid, but Willow took it out and brushed it before braiding a crown into my hair and adding a nice purple pin she had found at the market. I was grateful for the gift, but didn't understand why people wore such accessories. I just found it a constant reminder and annoyance in my hair.

I did look a lot different though, by the end of it. Both Willow and I did.

The two of us went to the gala together, a line of other trainees making their way there; men were in all black suits, and women in similar dresses to Willow and I just with different colors. I noticed some eyes look at me as we walked by, but they examined Willow as well, leaving me feeling less pointed out―thankfully.

The ballroom used was a place I hadn't been to before. It was extravagant, and decorated for the occasion. It was at least three times bigger than the throne room, and it left me wondering how such a big place was built. Walking into the ballroom, I saw there was a high point for the queen to reside during the festivities, grand and extravagant steps being the way to get there. Tables were lined along the sides of the room, with food and refreshments over lace tablecloths. Music was playing in one of the corners of the room, soft and pleasant, from the hands of older gentlemen from the city. There were many people here; just as much highly positioned people in society as there were trainees.