FOUR

4.

the queen of Amia.

.

.

.

"Queen Siora is coming!"

"Hush!"

"I can't wait!"

Everyone had been advised to lower their voices, as two senators had walked out of the door behind the throne and stood on either side of it. The generals lining the bottom of the stairs had announced the arrival of Queen Siora Teriani and her wife Briar Cynthia-Teriani.

"The queen may accept people like you, but she herself is not right for the throne considering her...tastes."

Valerie's father and his words flashed through my mind, and anger filled me.

It was people like him who kept this world from changing.

My thoughts were turned towards the throne as the doors behind it opened, the handles pulled back by two generals. Walking out of those doors was the Queen and her wife.

The Queen had the longest red hair I had ever seen, separated into many little braids curled with gold twine. It flashed against sunlight shining in from the large glass windows in the throne room, and her dark eyes stared powerfully ahead towards the trainees in the crowd. Her skin was a beautifully dark bistre, decorated in Amian symbols from native gold fruit plants, and she wore a white dress that flowed out behind her. Her chin was pointed and her cheekbones high, her dark eyebrows arched and defined.

Her wife Lady Briar had tan skin and sharp mono-lidded dark eyes, her other facial features soft and round. She had short chopped black hair that was thin and straight, and she had a small frame despite the muscles clearly visible on her limbs. She didn't wear a dress like the Queen, and instead sported a uniform similar to the military's but specifically designed to be unique to her.

They both looked like physical representations of power. One wise, one confident.

I was startled by the sudden collective salute and bow to the two royals by everyone around me, and I followed along clumsily, a minute behind.

Queen Siora took a seat on the throne, and Lady Briar stood beside her, denying the addition of another throne next to her wife. As the Queen's eyes scanned over the crowd, a soft smile bloomed over her plump lips.

"They're beautiful," Willow whispered to me, standing on my left and watching the two leaders of Amia with respect and awe.

The Queen raised her hand, letting her sweet yet firm voice ring out among the large room. "Welcome to the Amian military, my people. No matter what region, country, or village you are from, you are family now. I hope you wear our symbol with pride and with honor. As this is the entryway into your first Rotation, I want to give you the best well-wishes as I can. I am your queen, and wish you to possess strength and kindness."

Lady Briar took over the speech, the two of them not missing a beat, and her voice was much harder than the Queen's. "You trainees are here as we are in need of your strength and services. The Scourge has risen to power in Obari, and has removed the Eowyn Clan from rule. They have made their animosity towards us very clear, and unfortunately, we must prepare for any attack from our once-ally."

I felt sick to my stomach.

"The Obarian people have been suppressed by their brothers and sisters in the Scourge," Lady Briar continued. "And though we do not want war, it may come."