ELEVEN

11.

revelation.

.

.

.

I tried to study in the library after Soren had left. But because of our fight, I couldn't concentrate at all. Not because of High Magic, or my possible abilities, but because of my guilt.

When dinner rolled around, the sun was setting and I forced myself out of the library to head to the dining hall. I wasn't that hungry, but I hadn't ate since breakfast that morning, so I needed to put something into my stomach. It was a popular time for trainees of either first Rotation or second to be eating, so I followed after the crowd with my head down.

Until a hand grabbed my shoulder.

I turned, seeing Valerie was the one who had ahold of me.

Great.

Her sneer told me all I need to know. "Don't think I was going to let your comment slide, Outsider."

The fear I had once felt towards her had disappeared. It wasn't because I knew of the High Magic within me, but because I realized who Valerie was. She was a girl who thrived on the downfall of others, and gained strength from separating herself both in class and attitude. She thought of herself highly because of her bloodline, but was controlled by a need to please her father. She wasn't as formidable anymore, all because I now could see that she had a weakness too. Just like me, just like everyone else.

I noticed a crowd gathering, and this deterred me while it only seemed to make Valerie more smug. "Valerie, this isn't necessary."

"Oh but it is," she countered, her eyes angry but a wicked smile on her face. "I have to teach people their place. And you've been in my sights for a while."

Valerie struck me.

The blow came so fast it startled me, and I saw stars as I swayed and fell to the dirt on my side. The sudden uproar of the crowd around us shocked me with its encouraging cheers and cries. Instead of stopping it, they enjoyed the action, as most of the trainees hadn't seen anything here at all worth being interesting.

Now they had a show.

I tried to catch my bearings, my vision still swimming. Valerie came and pressed her foot on the back of my head, forcing my forehead into the dirt. I coughed, gritting my teeth as Valerie looked down at me with content.

"Imani!"

"Hey, Firyali!"

I heard Willow and Wes' voices in the crowd, but they didn't surface, as the audience around us had formed a thick ring around us and kept them from busting through.

"What's the matter, Outsider?" Valerie asked, her voice laced with mock concern. "Got nothing to say now, do you?"

Valerie kicked me in the side with all of her might, and I cried out, rolling a few paces as I clutched at my stomach in pain. I coughed up a bit of blood, and as I saw it splatter the ground, anger rose in me so quickly I felt redness flush my face.

"Get up," Valerie told me. "I want to see your eyes when I knock the shit out of you."

I gritted my teeth, the anger in me rising. Don't do it, Imani. This isn't the time―

But as I slowly rose to my feet, I realized I didn't care anymore. The intense anger within me took over, and I realized how desperately I wanted to give Valerie a taste of her own medicine. So when Valerie threw another punch at me, energy roared to life through my veins and I caught her hand within the grasp of my own.