Chapter 18

(Please read authors note at the bottom)

.18

| Luke |

As the hours go by, anxiety is threatening to take over my body. My mind seemed to go blank, and I couldn't focus on the world around me. In fact, everything seemed to spin, gradually becoming more and more unfocused. I was slightly aware of the people calling me name, but in my state, I couldn't answer. My stomach felt heavy and unsettled, and I didn't want to move. I wouldn't move until we went on the rescue mission to save my mate.

Dazed, I struggled to look at an object across the room, to get my vision back to normal. It looked like a vase, but there were multiple, and I didn't know which one was real, and which was only imagined. Standing up, my hand on a stool, I squinted, trying to make it clear. Instead, my thoughts only became more mixed up than they previously had been, and I began to stumble. I briefly remember David shouting my name, before my eyes closed, and the anxiety managed to creep over me.

☩ ☩ ☩

When your body shuts down, you are usually going to die. My body didn't shut down, but my mind did. Every functioning part of my brain had been replaced with blackness, but that somehow didn't stop me from thinking about my mate. Maybe it was our love that was too strong to break, and it would only be when my mate died, that my body would finally shut down. But while I was passed out, I could still hear everything around me.

I couldn't move, or see. It was as if I was in a dream, but a strange dream. I couldn't speak either. I could only listen.

And it turned out that it was a dream.

The sounds of everyone had suddenly disappeared, and was replaced by the dripping of water onto a cold, cobblestone floor. I could now see, hear, and move, and was now standing in the shadows of a damp place. A long hallway that led straight to an old sturdy door stood before me, and I took this as an opportunity to find whatever I was dreaming about.

My footsteps made clunking noises as I walked, and dust flew from the cracked stone floor. The door was coming closer, until it was only a foot away. I raised my hand towards the door handle, cold beneath my fingers. With one twist, it was open, and I took a deep breath. Maybe this wasn't a dream, and maybe whatever was behind this door was destiny. Maybe behind the door, Morgan would be standing, a smile on her face.

It sort of happened that way.

I mean, Morgan was there. But she didn't turn when I opened the door. She was sitting in a cell, probably made of silver. Morgan was hugging her knees to her chest, and when she brushed her hand to push the hair away, I saw a tear resting on her cheek. I closed the door softly, and walked up to the cell, careful not to touch it. Morgan was still not looking at me, and I was a little confused.

"Morgan," my voice sounded in my own head, and didn't ring into the air. I only mouthed the word, and hadn't said it. "Morgan," it happened again. My voice was only loud enough for me to hear. It wasn't a dream, but a vision. Morgan couldn't see, nor hear me. And although I couldn't do anything at the moment to get her out of the cell, I tried. I poked a silver-coated bar, testing it to see if it would burn my skin.

To my luck, it didn't, and I grabbed the door to the cell, which was surprisingly unlocked, like the other door had been. Maybe it was just for me. I smiled a sad smile at my mate, and wrapped an arm around her cold body. She picked up her head and looked around as soon as I did that, and she tensed. Suddenly, she relaxed, as if she knew I was there, even though she couldn't hear me. I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, blind to her, visible to me, and closed my eyes.