Chapter Six

My last few days as somewhat human were spent in my little room, or at the library; my mind full of words and peaceful quiet. I saw Dean a few times, in the halls and after eating but we didn't have a real conversation until the last day before my transformation was complete. I had recently discovered the indoor pools and I was making the most of the empty spa.

I glanced up from my wrinkled toes when I heard the door open and saw Dean step in, shirtless.

"Ally!" He said, delighted, when he noticed me curled up in the side of the spa.

"Hello," I said. My voice echoed across the room. Dean placed his towel on one of the chairs and proceeded to leap into the spa, spraying water everywhere.

"Dean!" I yelled, having water splashed into my eyes. He emerged from the water dripping wet and grinning.

"You looked dry," he laughed. I frowned at him and turned to look at one of the tiled walls.

"Awe, I'm sorry Ally," he complained when I ignored him. "I wanna talk to you."

I hid my smile and faced him again.

"About what?" I asked curiously.

He shrugged.

"Just to talk, I guess. I don't know anything about you."

"Well, what do you expect?" I said. "We're not really friends."

"Yeah we are! Well, I want to know you better. I want to be friends."

I sighed.

"For what reason, Dean? I'm not interesting, and certainly not your type so why?"

He looked hurt.

"Maybe I just want to be your friend. Is that so illegal?"

I sighed again, and shook my head.

"Okay then. Whatever," I said, feeling amused and exasperated.

He grinned in victory and swam over to my side.

"So, what does the mysterious Ally enjoy doing in her free time? I know you like reading," he said.

I shrugged, trying to find an answer that wouldn't make me sound like a total nerd.

"I like thrift shopping, I guess. I also like collecting Dr.Martens. I don't know really. Back at my school I didn't do much. Just did my schoolwork and got on with life," I murmured.

And so we talked. For how long, I don't know. I opened up to him completely- I told him about my dad and how hard life had been for my mum and I. He listened, and he was actually interested in what I had to say. I felt special, because he made me feel worthy.

After a while, when I had stopped, he looked over at me.

"Ally... I honestly don't know what to say," he said. Oh no, I thought, here comes the rejection.

"You're amazing," he finished. I blinked, looking at him in surprise.

"What?"

He smiled shyly and I felt my heart flutter.

"I've never met anyone like you. You are amazing and you fascinate me endlessly- the way you talk, it's like music and you are so boundlessly wise. I don't know what to say," he said. I felt dizzy. Nobody had ever talked to me like that before.

"Say something," he murmured.

"Dean," I whispered. He looked at my lips, and I felt heat across my face. Gently, he cupped my cheek and leant forward, delicately pressing his lips to mine. I was lost inside my head as he gently kissed me over and over, like I was something amazing. Slowly, he leant back and I opened my eyes to see him looking at me in wonder.