Chapter Five

Dean was gone in the morning. I had awoken to silence in my little room, and found that he'd disappeared. Maybe they found him a proper room, I thought. Getting dressed quickly, I snatched up the crinkled map off the kitchen bench where I'd left it last night- my stomach was growling and I scanned the map to find where I could find food. I looked up from the map, momentarily nervous. I'd have to see everyone. People, who were like me but also not. Sighing, I noted where the cafeteria was and stepped out into the hallway to go find it.

Walking along, I luckily saw only a few people, and they strode past me with their heads down. I was glad that I had a map- this place seemed to be an endless maze of rooms and passages. Idly, I wondered how many people were in this huge castle.

Finally, I made it to the huge, strangely modern cafeteria. The noise was loud and hit me in a wave, all at once and I glanced around nervously, looking for the serving bench. Spotting it, I grabbed a tray of food and walked over to a vacant table.

"Ally!"

I looked up in surprise at hearing my name being called.

"Ally!" Dean called again. I looked over to where he was sitting at a table surrounded by people. He beckoned me over.

"Hey, Ally. Find your way here well enough?" His question was that of concern, but his voice was teasing.

"Yeah, whatever," I muttered.

"Sit," Dean said, gesturing to a free seat. I sat, looking around uncomfortably. Dean was popular, that much was obvious; surrounding and at the table was a large group of beautiful people. The girls all had long, blonde hair and the guys were muscular and cute. I didn't have to squint hard to see him at ease in this environment. I looked down at my food, suddenly self conscious. I knew that I didn't belong here, with my dirty blonde hair, chipped nails and worn sweaters. One of the girls that had been talking to Dean and laughing glanced over at me curiously. I wished that I had worn something else apart from my thick raybans and holey shirt.

"Are you going to introduce yourself to your... Friend, Dean?" She said, lingering on the word 'friend'.

He grinned broadly, as if he was responsible for my being here. Well, I guess he was, but I still wished that he wouldn't look at me as if I was a spectacle.

"Everyone!" He called, and the group hushed, listening to him. I felt my stomach turn over. "This is Ally. I met her yesterday," he smirked.

"Hi," I said nervously, waving.

Everyone stared at me for a moment, and then the introductions started. There were 14 of them in total, I think, but I couldn't remember any names. I am terrible with names, I thought. I just tried my best to keep up with everything and smiled at everyone.

Eventually, my novelty wore off and they all went back to chatting amongst themselves.

"Did you find your proper room?" I asked Dean, leaning over. He nodded.

"Sadly."

"What?" I scrunched up my nose.

He laughed.

"I'm just kidding. How are you settling in?" He asked. I looked at him for a second. He seemed genuine, but guys like him just aren't interested in girls like me.

"Yeah, okay," I answered evasively. He didn't seem to notice.

I looked down, realising I'd forgotten about my food. Quickly I scoffed it down and then excused myself from the group. I was starting to develop a headache.

Walking down the hall, I was again thinking about Dean. He really was so cute, but waay out of my league. Sighing, I rounded the corner that lead to my room. I guess I'd be reading all day, then.

As I was walking, I passed two girls talking

"...do you want to go see what the library has? I'm sure they'd have something on it," one girl was suggesting. The other girl sighed.

"But then it'll be so obvious. I'm happy just to..." Their voices faded as they walked away. I stopped, thinking about what one of them had said. There was a library here, and that might mean books about Baeings.

It had been slowly driving me nuts, the fact that I knew nothing about this place or what I might become. Deciding, I turned around and followed them to the library.

It was only a short walk from my room, luckily I'd be able to get back with no hassles. Stepping inside after the two girls, I exhaled. Back home, I'd spent ages at my local library. I found the atmosphere so soothing, and plus you could read endlessly, one of my favourite things to do. I quickly hurried over to the section labelled 'non fiction' and started browsing. There was a lot of books on a colourful variety of subjects, but I managed to find a book that might help me. Heaving it off the shelf, I spotted a beanbag and fell into it before opening the book. I coughed as a cloud of dust flew up into my face. Man, this book hadn't been read in ages. After the dust had settled down, I scanned the contents page and found what I was looking for:

'Vampires typically develop inhumanely sharp teeth before undergoing the transformation period. Fairies eye's change colour to a dark gold, and then yellow. Shapeshifter's body parts may randomly change to something different for a period of tim- a finger may change colour, or scales could develop on an area of skin. Demons may develop black markings on an area of their body- each shape and placement is always unique to each demon, and these markings often resemble tattoos.

All Baeing's transformations are different, but most follow these basic patterns.'

I stopped reading and looked up, pondering what I might be. I didn't have any of these characteristics. Feeling mildly worried, I wondered if I should tell someone. Nah, I thought.

"Reading up, are you?"

I looked up to see a teasing smile on Dean's face. I wouldn't have pegged him to be one to surround himself with books, but here he was, with his messy brown hair more rumpled than usual and thick reading glasses.

"Did you follow me?" I asked suspiciously. He laughed.

"Everything's about you, isn't it? Maybe I just like reading." He wiggled his eyebrows. "As do you," he said.

"Yes. I do. And anyway, the only reason I'm here is to actually find something out about this whole shit. Nobody has told me anything!" I said, a bit more forcefully than I intended. Dean said nothing, just slumped down in a beanbag next to me.

"Don't you have someone else to annoy?" I said mildly. I wasn't really bothered by him, but I didn't want him to know that. He ignored my question and peered over at the paragraph I'd been reading.

"What kind of Baeing do you think you'll be?" He asked.

I shrugged, trying to be nonchalant.

"Dunno," I said casually.

He furrowed his brow, and then turned back to the book he'd been carrying. I glanced over curious.

"What about you?" I said.

"Fairy, I guess," he replied, pointing to his eyes. I peered at them, not having noticed the yellowish tinge to them before.

"Cool. I guess all the fairies are beautiful, right?" I said, meaning about his group. A half smile played on his lips.

"Do you think I'm beautiful then?"

"I? What? Uh, no, I mean. I don't know," I spluttered, caught off guard.

"You so do," he laughed and then jumped to his feet, and was out the door before I could collect my scattered thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! Here is chapter 5.

Hope you all enjoyed it, please let me know what you think of it, I've been doing heaps of editing lately so there'll be some different things here and there.

I'll keep trying to update regularly :)

Please vote and support me, it means so much!

Thanks,

Emma xx