Chapter Four: New Beginnings

Several hours later- or so I assumed, there was nothing to tell the time in the small backseat of the car- my curiosity won out and I turned to the stranger sitting next to me.

"So, you never did tell me your name."

"Maybe I don't want to tell you," he replied curtly.

I looked over at him with mild disbelief.

"Do you have something against me?" I asked

"No. It's just I hate this job," he said honestly.

"Okaay. But I want to know your name," I persisted.

He sighed loudly, as if I was asking him a massive favour.

"Geoffrey."

"Oh." I was silent for a bit, not wanting to annoy him further. I could feel his yellow eyes examining me, so I decided to ask another question.

"Who are the Searchers?"

He rolled his eyes.

"You'll find everything out at the Academy. Despite your annoyingness, I'm not authorised to tell you anything anyway."

"I'll bug you." I threatened.

"I have my iPod," he said, dangling headphones.

"Fine, you win," I sulked.

True to his word, as soon as I tried asking another question, he plugged his earphones in and ignored me. I turned my attention back to the window, feeling worry flutter in my stomach. I had no idea about anything that was about to happen. I felt venerable and scared, like a little girl again. My emotions were eating away at me when Geoffrey suddenly came to life again, grinning over at me. I stared back warily, noting his mood swing.

"We're almost at the Academy," he almost sang, clearly excited to be leaving me in someone else's care.

I glanced out the window on his side and saw a glimpse of a huge gothic castle. Well, it looked like a castle at least. Not a school. I shivered, but not out of the cold. Out of fear of what would come, and the way that in two short weeks, my life had changed irreversibly.

We pulled up into a little kiss n ride near what appeared to be the main entrance, and the car stopped. Geoffrey climbed out and then opened my door for me, waiting. I shrank back from the open door, my eyes darting around the large space.

Making an impatient noise in the back of his throat, Geoffrey grabbed my arm and pulled me out.

"I don't know why you're so scared, Ally," he said, bemused. "None's going to bite you."

I glared at him, and stretched out my limbs. The car ride had been a long one. Shrugging, Geoffrey turned without another word and strode inside the lobby of the building. The school, I reminded myself. It was a school. I glanced around the open space and quickly decided that being with irritable Geoffrey was better than being alone in this place.

I trotted to the desk where he stood, chatting with a dark haired receptionist. She glanced over at me curiously, and then smiled as Geoffrey murmured something to her. She had sharp, pointy teeth. I resisted the urge to shudder and turned to where I heard a commotion. A large group of pretty girls had swirled through the front doors. As they passed, chatting, I noticed flashes of varying black tattoos that covered them. Trying to be inconspicuous, I squinted at them, noting how they were all different, but still linked together somehow. The placement of the tattoo varied as well, with one girl having it on the side of her exposed stomach and another with it on her right shoulder blade. They disappeared up a tall, winding staircase, leaving a hush behind them.

"C'mon," Geoffrey said, having come to stand next to me. I started, nearly jumping out of my skin. Geoffrey laughed, and I scowled.

"Sorry," he snickered, though he didn't sound sorry. "We need to get you to your holding room now."

I tensed up warily. 'Holding room' didn't sound good.

Noticing my expression, Geoffrey sighed.

"Honestly, get it out of your mind that we're going to kill you or something. The holding room is simply where you'll stay for two days until the transformation is complete. Then we can settle you into academy life, get your timetable and start classes."

Transformation. The word echoed in my mind, making me shudder. It sounded like I was becoming a monster, or a bug.

Turning my attention back to Geoffrey, I nodded mutely and he started walking towards a lift tucked around a corner. He punched in level three and stood, silently. I stared at my reflection in the grimy mirror unhappily. I looked tired, with dark bags under my eyes and it was obvious I was terrified. Annoyed, I looked away. I hated feeling uneasy, or fearful of what might come.

Mercifully, the elevator trip was swift and we soon were on level three. Geoffrey looked around- the floor appeared empty- and handed me a crumpled map.

"This will show you where everything is in the academy, so you don't get lost. Your stuff should be in your room, feel free to unpack, but you'll only be in your holding room for two days so I personally wouldn't bother," he said. "I'll check you in. You go along to room 206- that's your room, okay?"

"Okay," I murmured as he walked off, leaving me alone. I took a deep breath, trying to talk myself up.

It's no big deal, I told myself. Just find your room and don't talk to anyone.

I wandered the corridors for a bit, counting the numbers on the rooms until I finally came to 206. I tried the handle, and finding it unlocked, stepped inside.

There was a boy sitting on the floor.

I stepped back, surprised. I couldn't remember Geoffrey saying anything about a roommate? He glanced up at me, seeming just as surprised.

"Who are you?" His voice was rich and sweetly deep.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that, since you're in my room?" I retorted.

"Your room?" He seemed confused.

"Yes. This was my assigned room. Unless we're supposed to be roommates..." I trailed off.

He shrugged.

"I'll go ask the front desk later, I guess. They'll sort it out."

I crossed my arms, feeling my face heat.

"Well you can't just stay here!" I protested feebly.

"Why not?" He said mildly, "there isn't anywhere for me to go."

I huffed, giving in.

"Fine." I said, spotting my bags on the little kitchen bench. I ignored the boy and grabbed them, looking into the next room. It was a small bedroom, mainly consisting of a double bed and a small dresser. I placed my heavy bags on the bed and kicked off my shoes, peeking around to the living area where the boy still sat.

"What's your name?" I asked. He smiled at me, as if sensing I was warming up to him.

"Dean. My name's Dean," he said. "And yours?"

"Ally."

He nodded his head as if expecting this, and then turned back to reading his book that I hadn't noticed earlier. I flopped down on the bed next to my bags. Dean was cute, I had to admit that, although he seemed out of my league. Still, maybe if he did end up being my roommate, it wouldn't be so bad. I hoped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone!

Here is my updated (and edited) chapter 4.

Like I said in "Hey" (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, please read it -> )

I'll be slowly reuploading my chapters of BA again. And they'll be better, I promise you. Now that I'm not going anywhere with the publishing, I want to finish BA and try to actually get it published.

Your support means everything to me, please vote and comment what you think

Thanks so much xx

Emma