Glitch

Drip Drip Drip

The smell of liquid that has been sitting in rusty pipes for centuries is one that could knock you on your ass, that is if you're not already sleeping. Much like "Ravi Ross" who is beginning to stir the sound of his chains against the metal chair jingling to echo across the room. His eyes flutter open and he eyes his surroundings in silence. 

The ceiling of the circular room is made entirely out of red clay mud. He must be underground. From the top to the bottom he analyzed his cell, the floor below him made out of concrete with several patches of dirt and grass growing from the cracks of the design chiseled into the stone surface. 

Moving away his foot he can see that the image carved into the base of this room was a triangle, in it's center an eye. A memory floods his skull and he whinces in pain 'Hi I'm Karan Brar from 'Bunk'd' and your watching Disney Channel.'  That was his voice. He could hear it like it came from his own lips. Maybe it did. Or maybe he's going crazy. 

A door on the other side of the room opens up to reveal torch light upon a heavy metal gate. The bars slowly rise and stop for a moment before lowering back down. The door shuts and all around him torches ignite to light up his tomb. "Hello?" His shaky voice filled the room. "Is someone there?"

"Not just anyone Karan..." Her voice familiar only to him. "It's your best friend." He looked down to see Mrs. Kippling at his feet. "Oh thank the Gods... Mrs. Kippling you come to rescue me." She laughed at him when he said that. She literally laughed. "They get no credit. I'm rescuing you from yourself Karan, there's a glitch in your system." She trots around behind him. "I'm here to reprogram you." A hiss in the wind he could sense something was happening that he couldn't see. 

When next she walks around to look him in the face he views upon a new form. A young woman with glowing yellow eyes and a forked tongue, massive gauges in her earlobes, tattoos up and down her tight muscular skin, her hair cut short to her head. "Mrs. Kippling?" He shivers. "Karan..." She hisses as she walks over to the wall running her fingers over the cracks where vines were seeping through fighting for survival. "That's not my name..." He assured her. 

"No?" She popped her eyebrow. "No it's not is it. Your name is Ravi Ross... born in India, native tongue is hindi... a good decision made by producers. Originally you were going to be from Greece and your name would have been Va'Kido, they even considered having you come from south America with the name Javier bringing with you a pet Capybara but that didn't work because they needed me to be involved. When it was decided that you would become Ravi they gave me to you."

"What are you talking about?" He whispered as her scales glistened beneath her pale skin from the light of the torch she stood below. She sighed walking over to him and crouching on the ground to look him in the face. "You are going to change the world sweetie." She blinked but her eyelids closed vertically instead of horizontal. "But you humans malfunction so easily. We're going to need to rearrange some wiring." She popped him in the back of the head and he groaned. "Bring in the gurney boys..."

He limped out onto the great lawn. The body count was high, among those lost included Destiny and Mateo, two of their newest campers. Lou's cousin Finn was not a face in the crowd. Maybe he got away. As he trudged through holding onto his burnt leg, Xander came to a stop just before the Infirmary. 

There was something going on in his brain. A weird... glitch? He kept hearing tones that he was sure weren't there. Reaching out to grab the nob of the door he snatched back and felt something over take his body. Turning around he looked over the bodies of the kids he once called family. 

They were rising from the ground. Eyes red and smoke escaping their noses and mouths. He felt himself moving towards them. The most terrifying feeling in the world is one of an animalistic nature. Doing something with complete separation of consciousness.  His eyes widened as the tones increased and became a steady beat. 

The children, dripping with blood and oil, began moving in ways their bodies shouldn't be able to. A twitch, a switch, a movement of invauluntary glitch. Before Xander could comprehend what was happening he realized they were all in sync. He was leading a dance mob beneath the sparkling glass of the high-top dome. Mother moon looking down on them with pride. 

He twirled and saw that they were coming for him. The tempo quickened as did his pace. He leaned into his nature. They were the robots he refused to sink to that level. Xander was no machine, he was on his way to the next stage of evolution. Bending, twisting, kicking, swivel after swivel. It was like something from a night mare. 

The way he stepped up. The way they came for him. The way he dodged their reach. The way they charged like it was war. Buckling to his knees he screamed. His eyes raised to see a blood drenched hazel, eyes wet with tears, arm outstretched to help him. "Let's win this." She nodded to him. With only a moments hesitation he took her grasp and they stood back to back. 

The creatures knocked and rocked to the beat. An evil hissing coming from the engines. Jump, kick, spin, twirl, tango. He clutched her waist as her heels struck the jaw of one of the weasels from her own cabin. She braced him launching him into the crowd of tiny machines scattering them like cogs across the ground of the great lawn. 

The music came to a slow and they ran into the Infirmary. She shut and locked the door as he dragged as much as he could to barricade them in. "What was that?" He cried. His mind was in a fierce panic as she just stared at him. She knew something he didn't. "We've gone against our programming. They'll have our chips for this."

He shook his head 'no'. His eyes red with anger. "I am a human..." He demanded. She took a few deep breaths as she thought about the best way to respond. "You were a human..." Sliding her back down the wall she sank her hands into her hair as she whimpered. Xander walked over and crouched down next to her. "Look..." He wiped a finger over her temple. "You're bleeding." He held it out so she could see the red liquid coating his hand. "You are human." Was he trying to convince her or himself?