Red Velvet Cupcake

It all started with a cupcake. A single, red velvet, vanilla frosting, lonesome cupcake. One that looked like someone with actual culinary skills could have made. This particular cupcake had drawn the attention of Camp Councilors Xander and Lou to the small glass saucer that rested on one of the several otherwise empty wooden tables in the mess hall.

"Is it just me... or is the saucer creepier than the cupcake." It wasn't what Xander expected to hear from his co-councilor, especially the word creepy. Though now that she said it... it was rather odd for someone to leave a cupcake here, in the mess hall, alone, after dark. 

"It reminds me of the dishware my great grandmother used to use... she's long gone now, and i suspect so are all those cups and plates." His arms cross over the red collard shirt with two out of three buttons undone. His bronze skin reflecting the dim flickering lights up above like he was lathered in oil. 

"You think Ravi left it here?" Lou asked with a furrowed brow. Her jeans tight around her thick thighs and her hair pulled back into a pony tail, the logo on her shirt was fading from the amount of use it had. 

The two of them had been this camps longest running councilors. Ravi, Emma, and Zuri were campers when they showed up just two years ago. Now the three adopted siblings finally had the ranking these two had. However, when confronted, they had no clue why a cupcake was just sitting in the mess hall.

 The five of them stood around it as if waiting it to move. It wouldn't be the first time food had soul in this kitchen and we don't mean the kind you find in hip hop or R&B but rather the kind you find at a revival in deep south. Something Lou was very familiar with. 

After a few moments Zuri decided she had an idea. "We could sell it... The campers in this place would kill for the sugar in that thing." Her sister Emma nodding along as if it was the smartest thing she had heard all day. Maybe heard isn't the right word considering Ravi never shuts up but perhaps a better way to say it is it's the smartest thing she's understood all day.

"No..." Lou said. "We have no clue what's in it." 

Xander had to agree with Lou. "I know it sounds odd but what if it's a trap?" He looked around at the other leaders beside him hoping one of them would back him up. He couldn't help but blush a little as Ravi took his side. "Xander has a point. This whole thing seems so weird." The lizard lover made eye contact with his sister's boyfriend and decided that it was a mistake. He was lured in. 

Luckily only Lou noticed this and broke it up right away. "The first thing we need to do is find out who left it here." She spoke with her thick southern accent placing her pointer fingers through the loops of her pants as she spun around to look out the window at the great lawn. Most of the cabin lights were already off. 

"The kids are all asleep..." Emma said. "Do you think we should put it in the fridge and wait till morning to find out?" Usually good ideas don't come from Emma, but when they do for some reason no one believes it's a good idea. Not even Xander could agree. Yes it was the best course of action but since she said it they immediately through it out the window. 

"No..." He spoke softly eyeing her hoping he wasn't about to piss her off. "I think we need to figure this out now." He huffed and waited for her to respond. It was her glare that let him knew he had made a mistake. "Xander is right..." Ravi chimed in. "This is too weird not to do anything about." 

"You know what's weird." She got to his face bending over just a little to reach his height for he was much shorter than her. "The way you look at my boyfriend is weird Ravi. Just know that a man like Xander wouldn't think twice about fucking a dork like you." She grabbed the cupcake with her left hand and smashed it over Ravi's face who screamed in agony as the smell of burning flesh entered the atmosphere. 

The remains of the red velvet cupcake were scattered over his coucilor t-shirt and the floor around his feet. He wiped away at the mess on his nose and around his eyes screaming harder as what ever was in the cupcake singed the meat on his fingers and palms. Crashing to his knees he clung to Emma who grabbed a hold of him to keep him balanced. 

After a moment he lay on the ground unconscious. Zuri had a fire in her eyes when she confronted her sister. "What did you do?" She eyed the bottle blonde like she could sell her to the greasy men in town who did God knows what with their farm animals. One could only imagine the things they would do to a girl like Emma Ross. 

"I'm sorry." She whimpered. 

Xander tucked his hands underneath Ravi's arms. "Lou grab his feet... Help me get him to the infirmary." They both shot her a look as they walked through the double doors carrying a bloody lizard lover out of the mess hall. 

Zuri and Emma stood alone in the dim lighting. "What was that about Emma?" Zuri stepped closer crossing her arms demanding her sister to answer before she bashed the glass saucer over her pretty white face. "I don't know..." Emma looked at her baby sister begging for a reprieve. "I don't know what came over me."