Survival Mode

The only person at the camp with any medical training was Hazel. No one liked her and it was because of her obsession with Xander, however right now even she couldn't think about that. As she examined his burns she held her nose, the smell being close to unbearable. "Someone star talking." She rose up taking a deep breath. "This is looking like a lot of paper work."

"Emma-" Before Zuri could even get the words out she was interrupted by a shrill laugh. "Oh this is a family problem. Good I thought I was going to have to call the authorities." Lou stepped forward and slapped her fellow councilor. Hazel stepped back pressing one of her paws to the thick red print on her face. "A cupcake did this damage. I don't get physical with anyone except uncle Joe and he knows why." Her crazy eyes were even scarier than "Cray-zel's" 

"A cupcake?" Were the only words she managed to say through the quivering and glare from her fellow campers. "Yeah..." Emma spoke up. "I smashed it on it's face and this happened." Hazel couldn't help but notice that the glare they all saved for her was now being used on Emma. For a split second she felt connected to the girl she dispised with every fiber of her being but it went away the moment Xander started talking.

"Is he going to wake up?" The entire time they had been arguing Mr. McCormick had yet to take his eyes away from the boy on the gurney. Xander sat down in a chair beside him and something told the rest of them he wasn't moving until Ravi's eyes opened up. "I think he's in a coma..." Hazel sighed placing her hands on her hips and tossing her pig tails to one side.

"We have to call mom and dad..." Emma looked down at her younger sister. It was here that things got extremely tense. "No." Something had happened to Zuri. She was convinced they needed to do this on their own. "We need to figure out who did this." She spun on her heel and walked out of the building. 

Emma and Lou shared a look of concern... Emma looked at Xander... Xander was still looking at Ravi. Emma and Lou walked out of the infirmary following Zuri in hopes the younger child had a plan.

Hazel could see the longing in Xander's eyes. It was something she had never seen before. "You know how... in the scary movies..." He began. "When things get serious the characters stop behaving normal?" His pupils met hers and she felt like a deep caught in headlights. "I think maybe it's because when survival mode kicks in... people forget they're still human." 

She dusted off her skirt as she turned around to grab a bowl of cold water off the dresser. Floating in the water was a rag. "You want to help clean him up? He won't feel anything because he's asleep." She spoke like she was reading his mind. "How are you so calm compared to any other time?" He asked her as he picked up the green wash cloth and rung it out. 

"I'm poor Xan'..." She snickered a little. "I face death every day." For a moment, he saw the little girl trapped deep inside Cray-zle that she kept locked away beneath her insane ego. For a moment, he saw Hayzle. 

All of the children were drug out of bed, lights flicked on, and informed to meet out on the great lawn. 

Eighty seven kids in total Jorge and Tiffany finding one another in the mess of bodies. "What's going on?" She asked him as she rubbed her eyes to see the blur of color in his hair was a series of curlers. He shrugged. "I don't know but none of my bunk mates ever came back..." He scoffed like he expected more from them. "Mine either. Must be serious, it's almost midnight." 

He gave her a funny look. "What's so bad about that?" He asked as he caught a glimpse of Emma Lou and Zuri walking out onto the stage. "If my mother ever get's me out of bed before two AM I can expect the worst." She bit down on her tongue as images of the color red flashed through her mind. Just thinking about that woman made her want to scream. 

"Okay... I know it's late." Lou shouted over the crowd of murmuring campers. "Does anyone know about the cupcake in the mess hall?" Poor choice of words caused a riot. One kid in the back shouted "There's cupcakes in the mess hall!" And all of the other kids screamed before running towards the double doors. 

Jorge and Tiffany were about to follow them before Griff stepped out in front of them with a confused look on his face. "Where have you been?" Jorge asked. "There's cupcakes in the mess hall." Griff was quick to slam his arm down in front of the younger kids. His eyes looking up to the double doors that they had all just now noticed were lighting up with a pattern of blue lights around the frame. 

After the last kid had entered Kikiwaka's eatery the door pulled themselves shut and a heavy metal gate came sliding down over them to lock into the concrete steps below. "Oh my god!" Emma was the first one to run off the stage and reach the black and silver bars blocking in their campers. The moment her fingers laced one of the beams, however, she screamed. Pulling back her hands to find the entire cage laced with whatever chemical had been in the cupcake she smashed onto Ravi's face. 

Tiffany and Jorge looked up at their shaggy headed friend. "How did you know?" They asked in unison. Without looking at them he whispered. "When you grow up in a detention center, you learn how to avoid traps..." He could feel Zuri's eyes burning a hole in the back of his neck. Turning to look at her he said. "I've been out at the lake all afternoon." He pulled a cell phone out of his pocket. "I've been talking to my mother if you'd like to see for yourself." 

The two Councilor's still standing on the stage made their way down to him. Lou took the device from his hands and looked over his call logs. The story checked out, he had been on the phone with her for over two hours. "She's in Romania. digging in some tunnels. She told me she found something." 

Zuri still wasn't convinced. "Is this some prank gone wrong." She popped the one eye brow to show she wasn't playing his games. "You think I could have set up a- a trigger system like that?" He spat. "Guys!" Emma shouted. "Help me..." Her blond head hit the grassy ground next to her and her eyes shut in sleep.