Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five: Speaking Freely

"Welcome to the jungle. It gets worse here everyday." - Guns n' Roses: Welcome To The Jungle.

-

 "I won't tell you anything."

 "You won't have a choice."

 "I always have a choice."

 "Then you'll be unpleasantly surprised by this," Black Dwarf retorts.

 "I won't give into the serum," I state from where I'm strapped into a chair.

 "You will soon realize that it is not something you can fight," He replies, "The effects of the parrhesia are not optional. You will succumb to them and you won't even realize it."

 "I have a tough mind. I will fight to hold my tongue from giving you any information," I argue.

 "Stupid girl, did you not learn anything from your punishment? Rebelling will only bring you another whipping," He takes a step over to me.

 My back is still excruciatingly throbbing despite the doctor bandaging it and giving me pain medication. I am weakened too by the blood that I lost. I know I really should keep quiet. I was stupid to inflict that punishment that has enfeebled me onto myself. For some reason, I still do not want to be silent. I am angry at them for everything they have caused. I hate them for what they did to Alex and that they were about to shoot Tony right in front of me. My resentment towards the Black Order overrides my idea of common sense. With that said, I cannot fathom having to endure another lashing.

 "That's what I thought," Black Dwarf sneers as I remain silent.

 Our conversation ends when the door slides open. Supergiant and the doctor walk in. The doctor holds a small case in which I'm assuming is the parrhesia. He sets it down on the metal table in front of me and unlocks it. Three vials of the drug and a syringe are unveiled.

 "Can I at least have a shirt?" I ask as I'm still sitting clad in only my bra and pants in the middle of the room with an audience.

 "After the interrogation you will be issued your new uniform," Supergiant informs me, anger and annoyance seething through each word.

 I hmph in response. The doctor inserts one of the vials into the medical injector. I feel my heart pace quicken as I anticipate the inoculation. The doctor walks over to me and pushes my loose hairs to one side of my head. He pushes the needle past my skin just above my collar bone. I do not flinch at the piercing or when the vial of the serum begins to enter my bloodstream.

 "The effect will kick in less than five minutes and will last for six hours," The doctor informs the group.

 "However, your interrogation will last far less than that," Black Dwarf says cockily, "Unless you do not cooperate and we have to resort to more forceful measures."

 My vision begins to become blurred. I grunt and shake my head as I try to focus. My head becomes muddled as the serum begins to take effect. I think about lying, I think about resisting, I think about what I will say in response to whatever they question about S.H.I.E.L.D. My vision becomes clear again. I am relieved as I feel completely in control of my thoughts. I don't show my inner happiness as I cannot let them know I have the upper hand.

 "What is your full name?" Supergiant questions, marking the beginning of the interrogation.

 "Monica Emma Potts," I answer without hesitating. I'm alarmed at how fast I responded.

 "Who are your parents?"

 "Pepper Potts and Tony Stark."

 "How did you become associated with S.H.I.E.L.D?"