Chapter 27

"You're hopeless. You're hopeless and stupid!", my mom scolded, from the other end of India, through the phone but she was so loud that I felt she was just inches away from me. "I don't know what to do about you; what do I do with you? How many times have I told you to shut up in front of big people? Do you have problems understanding my point? I said it in Hindi. I said it in English. I said it in Gujarati. Do you want me to speak in Arabic now?", mom yelled in anger, and it took all I had to hold my laughter in; I must admit that my mom was always unintentionally funny whenever she was angry. Once, I told her that she should do a stand-up comedy show when she was angry; she would win the audience's heart within a snap of the fingers. "Why is your big-mouth shut now? Say something; explain yourself, Dityaa!", mom angrily demanded. "What's there to explain? That man has been targeting me since day one, mommy; I've been extremely calm since day one...", I attempted to explain, but mom cut me short. "I do not care about day one; I care about today. What happened to you today?", mom altered her question. "I stated an opinion", I answered to the point. "Did he ask you for your opinion?", mom interviewed. "Opinions are to be stated; no one 'asks' for opinions...that's why they're called opinions", I rolled my eyes. "I asked for a proper explanation; not for free tuitions, don't teach me", she said. "I do not have the 'proper' explanation you're looking for. He said something, I thought I should add my word, he couldn't agree with me and he fired me; insecure prick", I muttered. "Don't call people names!", mom sternly said. "You never take my side", I told her, crossly. "Well, that's because you're never right", mom said back and won the battle.

"You have been fired from the Raval Groups of Companies. How will I face Usha Di now? She told her son to hire you on my insistence, because I promised her that my daughter is unproblematic and silent", mom worriedly said. "You shouldn't have lied to her; too bad you did", flatly, I said. "You embarrassed us in front of her. I don't even know how I'll face her", mom panicked. "Mom, number one, when have you even met her? As far as I know that our last meeting with them was...a decade ago!; number two, if you're that embarrassed to face her because of me, then don't face her, simple; number three, I'm broke and jobless and stranded in Mumbai, and all you can think of is 'Usha Di'. Can we talk about me and my next move in Mumbai? Please?", I stated, point-by-point. "There's no next move in Mumbai; you're taking the next train back to Surat, that's it", mom plainly said and my jaw fell open. "No...no way...I am not coming back to Surat. There's no way I'm coming back to Surat!", I argued. "I do not want your opinions. I want you to follow my orders", mom argued back. "NO!", I firmly said. "You are coming back. I want you in my house within the next two days, and if you don't come back...then...forget about your mother. I know I always say the same dialogue, but this time, I swear on God, I mean my words", mom warned. "Mom please, give me one chance...last chance, please", when my adamancy didn't work, I begged in a whine. "I'll die of a heart-attack because of you. Dityaa, come back", mom was begging from the other end; we were in a mess, thank God the apartment was empty as Vaish, Chanch and Nash went out for a movie. "Mom, you know how passionate I am about Mumbai. This feels like home, I don't want to come back", I strived to convince her. "You don't have a job. How will you survive? Listen, Dityaa, Mumbai is a tough place to live in if you don't have a proper job. Moreover, you're alone and you're a girl; it's not safe. Come back. See, Surat is also very advanced; you can find your dream job here. Come back. You're not safe in Mumbai", mom explained her concerns. "Mommy, please, please, please!", I pleaded, throwing my head back, and she sighed, giving up on me. "I promise I'll find another job and I'll settle down at the soonest. You don't have to worry about me; Mumbai is safer than you think it is. There will be a way out, I'm pretty sure. Please!", I told her. "But, I agree only under one condition – you'll have to settle down in one month, and if nothing happens within a month, you should take the train back to Surat. Otherwise, I'll come to Mumbai and take you back home", mom warned, and although it was unrealistic and impractical, I agreed with her.