Chapter 14

Disbelief was written all over his chubby face, as he flipped through the set of stapled print-outs I submitted on his table, exactly ten minutes before the end of the office hours; it was a treat to watch, I wish I had salted popcorn. "It's complete...", blankness was glaring in Mr. Joshua's voice, and his eyes almost fell out of its sockets. "Complete and double-checked; you won't even find one error!", I stated with confidence and smirked with pride; I had all the rights in the world to do what I wanted to because I met the deadlines way before time! "Too much of confidence is not good, Dityaa", Mr. Joshua advised, and looked up at me for a moment. "Confidence drives you towards productivity, Sir!", I shrugged and silently, he looked back at the bunch of papers, without bothering to say another word. "The font size is...", Mr. Joshua tried extremely hard to find faults. "...is 12 points and the font style is Arial, exactly what you wanted", I told him, quickly, and he kept the paper back on his desk, clearing his throat. I stiffened up, and stood straight, anticipating for a good word to leave his bitter mouth, but not even a whimper found its way out. "Come early tomorrow. You can leave now", was all he managed to say, and although I was extremely disappointed for a split second, I figured out that in his speechlessness was exactly where my real victory resided; I defeated him and proved him wrong! "Good evening to you, Sir!", cheerfully, I told him with a wide grin and he nodded his head twice, with a serious look on his grumpy face; no one would ever sympathize him, maybe not even on his deathbed. Mr. Joshua would have probably been the 'monster' Indian mothers would warn their kids about, if they don't finish their food; my mom would have definitely been one who'd do that!

The office began clearing up, slowly, when I walked out of his cabin and hurried towards my table to pack my handbag. Hastily, I dumped my water bottle inside and struggled to zip my handbag shut, when the landline on my desk rang loudly. "Hello", I uttered into the phone, and kept my handbag on the chair. A part of me was convinced that Mr. Joshua decided to load me with extra word for being over-smart in front of him because of the sudden excitement that seized me and while I listened to the loud silence which echoed on line, I regretted my actions in his cabin. "Not bad; you answered the call in one ring", an extremely jovial and light voice reached my ear, which brought a smile on my face. "Oh God, you!", I exhaled in relief and turned around to face his cabin; the curtains were drawn open, and it revealed him, who sat on the edge of the glass-tempered table, holding the phone against his ear. He rolled the sleeves of the white shirt he wore all the way up, his brown eyes twinkled and a grin illuminated his face; it was probably the first time, since the day we met, when I truly felt that he did look good.

"Yes, me!", Darshan exclaimed, and smiled. "Drop into my cabin", he ordered. "Now?", I furrowed my eyebrows. "No, next life is also cool", Darshan said, coolly. "Your humour, or sarcasm or whatever the crap you call it...is pathetic. Please don't even dare to try", I rolled my eyes. "Of course, only you're the best", Darshan flatly said. "That comes with absolutely no surprise and doubt", I shrugged. "Oh God, where am I trapped?", Darshan exhaled, throwing his head back and my jaw dropped open. "Excuse me, Darshan Raval!", I snapped. "Shh! Lower your volume, you nutcase", Darshan hushed, fearfully. "You can hear my voice till your cabin?", stupidly, I questioned. "No, but the people around you might be overhearing your conversation. Just shut up", Darshan said. "Shut up? Don't boss me around, working hours are over. Moreover, you were the one who called me up and now, you're scolding me. Cut the damn call if you have a problem", I scolded him in annoyance. "I won't listen to you. You cut the call if you want", Darshan casually said. "Don't provoke me to", I warned him. "I dare you", Darshan smirked. "You challenged the wrong person, Darshan Raval!", softly, I snapped and cut the call on his face. I looked at Darshan, who literally sat as still as a statue inside his cabin; as though he couldn't believe that someone had the nerve to hang up on him. I picked up my handbag, walked towards his cabin with a victorious smile and pushed the door open.