Phase Three: Let's Torture Nico Some More!

CHAPTER SUMMARY

The di Angelos prepare for Thanksgiving.

BEGINNING NOTES

Word Count: 3121
Content Warning: None

Did I forget to post yesterday? Yes, but what else is new?

This one's a little longer than usual, but I couldn't trim it down any more.

And all the characters are owned by Rick Riordan.

Credits at the end.

I'm back, bitches. Where you at, B?

The whole fake dating thing.

Oh, yeah. That's so weird to think about now. Why did you agree to it?

Because it sounded like a good idea at the time. How the fuck was I supposed to know you liked him? You weren't out to me yet, and you were the one who was trying to set us up in the first place!

Excuses, excuses.

Whatever. I'm getting on with the story.

Nico came down around one to help get everyone out of the house. We started cleaning around 1:30. All my friends helped us out; Hazel and Reyna chipped in, too. I found the opportunity to pull Hazel aside and talk to her about Nico. I explained that he was having a bad night, and she shouldn't take what he said to heart. She kept nodding and saying "okay," but I don't think she really heard me. She looked miserable.

"How did things go with Frank?" I asked her, trying to lighten the mood.

"It... didn't work out," Hazel said. Her eyes were on the floor. I wanted to press her for more, but I also knew how bad heartbreak hurt. So, instead, I hugged her, told her everything would be all right, and let her get back to Reyna.

Everyone crashed at our place, except Jason and Piper. They lived close enough to walk home, and Leo convinced Jason to go. We were all crossing our fingers that he'd finally ask her out. All alone on a warm summer night with the stars and a full moon? Classic rom-com.

I tried to convince Thalia to sleep in my room, but she wanted to spend the night with Luke. Eventually, I had to let it go--she'd get angry at me if I insisted. Besides, Thalia talked a big game, but she could be... fragile about certain things. I knew she was in a bad place right now. It wasn't worth it to upset her.

We decided that Nico would stay in my room, and Percy and Grover would have his. I expected Percy would want to spend the night with Annabeth, but I think it was a "bros before hoes" situation.

It ended up being a good thing, though, because Nico and I finally got to talk.

I couldn't sleep, despite how late it was. I couldn't stop thinking about Thalia. How could I help her? Was Zoë right? Would it ruin her life? Not if I could help it.

I thought Nico was asleep, until he said, "Do you know what this reminds me of?"

"What?" I asked.

He rolled over so he was facing me. I did the same. "When we were kids, how I'd sneak into your room sometimes when I had a bad dream. Do you remember?"

"I'd take out a flashlight and make shadow animals to cheer you up," I said. "Then you'd tell me stories about... that game, what was it called?"

"Mythomagic," he reminded me. He laughed, and I teared up. It had been a long time since he laughed. "God, I was obsessed with that game," Nico said. "I had all the action figures, except Hades."