Chapter Twenty-Six

Sawyer

    Beau was a bit eager for me to leave and I couldn’t help feeling a bit thrown off by it. But I can’t dwell on that for too long because the overwhelming panic about telling Luke began to creep up. My stomach was in knots as I continued driving to Johnny J’s. It was inexpensive and honestly has the best diner food. It also wasn’t too far from Beau’s incase things went south with Luke.

    I managed a parking spot right by the front door. I was gathering my purse and phone when I opened my door right into someone. Shit. There was Zeek hanging onto the door. I haven’t really seen him since Beau and I started dating, actually I haven’t really seen much of anyone. Which could be due to the little love bubble we’ve been in the past two months. Lucy and Sam have also been in their own little world-battle, always trying to gain the upper hand. Zeek waved his hand dragging me from my thoughts. His dark brown hair was longer and swept across his forehead, his brown eyes focused on me. He had a small half smile. He really was handsome, but I could see the small flash of hurt in his expression. I know I hurt him and that made my heart pang a little. Another victim of the Sawyer Thompson Trainwreck. His voice snapped me back to reality.

    “Hey you might wanna look before you swing your door open Thompson. You almost took me out.” He chuckled a little.

    “Oh my gosh, Zeek I am so sorry! I’m a bit nervous and wasn’t paying attention.”

    “You do look a bit flustered, so I guess I’ll have to forgive you.”

    “Why thank you sir! I’ll be more careful with my door.” I said, trying to stifle a laugh.

    Zeek looked around as if searching for someone. “Meeting Beau?” He asked nonchalantly.

    “Uh, no. Actually, I’m meeting my brother Luke for some sibling bonding time. I’ve kind of been neglecting him a bit.” That was an understatement.

    “I heard he was back. Have they found your father yet?” I could see the regret shoot across his face the instant the words escaped his mouth.

    I shook my head. “No, they’re still looking for him. Probably drunk in a ditch somewhere.”

    “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have asked that.” He looked down at his feet. “How are you doing?”

    “It’s okay Zeek. It doesn’t bother me like it used too. I’m doing really well.” I was starting to become nervous again. I was fidgeting with my purse strap.

    “Well I shouldn’t keep you from your brother any longer. Have a good night.” He turned to walk away and I remembered. I never thanked him for the day he brought me to the hospital.

    “Hey!” He turned back to face me. “I never got to thank you.”

    “For?” He seemed confused.

    “For taking me to the hospital. For not freaking out. For being a good friend.”

    “You’re welcome.” His eyes locked onto mine.

    “I’m also sorry.”

    “For?” Again confusion washed over his face.

    “The dance.”

    “Oh, that.” Hurt flashed in his eyes. “Don’t worry about it Thompson. As long as you’re happy and safe all is forgiven.” Zeek flashed me his famous full teeth smile.

    “I am.” Is all I could muster.

    Zeek nodded and turned to walk away again. I watched as he climbed into his truck. He gave me one last look before driving away. I could see the disappointment written all over his handsome face. I felt that little pang in my heart again. Zeek was a sweet guy. He didn’t deserve what I did to him, but I love Beau. I think I always have. In reality, Zeek never stood a chance.